Bow string silencers, available in various shapes, sizes, and materials, are designed for a common purpose. Modern string silencers are carefully designed to minimize vibration and noise to achieve an impressive reduction of up to 90%. Their ultimate goal is to maintain a quiet bow precisely when silence matters the most.
In this guide, we’ll be taking a closer look at the 8 best bowstring silencers of 2024. These compact yet impactful accessories perform exceptionally well in real-world applications. Whether you’re a seasoned archer or just starting your archery journey, you’ll find the right bowstring silencer in our guide, making a significant difference in your overall performance.
Best Bow String Silencers of 2024
Let’s take a look at our ranking of the top 8 best bow string silencers in 2024. We have considered factors such as material, design, effectiveness, and our practical user experiences.
- Pine Ridge Archery Wishbone String and Cable Dampener
- TRUGLO Cross Tec Crossbow String Silencers (4 Pack)
- Standing Wolf Navajo Wool Bow String Silencers
- LimbSaver Twistlox Crossbow Silencing Kit
- Skylety String Silencer for Recurve Compound Bow
- Bowjax Ultra Jax I String Silencer FLO (Green)
- Mountain Man Beaver Balls String Silencer
- LimbSaver SuperQuad Split Limb Dampener
1. Pine Ridge Archery Wishbone String and Cable Dampener
Pine Ridge Archery, a stalwart in archery gear since 1997, presents the Wishbone String and Cable Dampener, a trendsetter for bow hunters. With a weight of only 14 grains, this sleek accessory promises a symphony of silence and vibration reduction on your bow’s strings and cables.
It’s a swift addition for every bowhunter, ensuring instant tranquility in your setup. The Wishbone, available in a spectrum of 9 vibrant colors plus a crystal-clear variant, doesn’t compromise on style. Choose the clear version to highlight your custom string’s colors, which adds a touch of elegance.
It is compatible with both crossbows and vertical compound bows. It isn’t as tricky to install even if you don’t have previous experience. Though it requires a bit of wrestling, the payoff is remarkable. However, if you use two dampeners, you will notice a drastically reduced bow noise.
It ensures your bow’s speed isn’t compromised. It might even boost your setup’s velocity when strategically positioned. This accessory also ensures no change in the point of impact after installation.
2. TRUGLO Cross Tec Hunting Crossbow String Silencers
TRUGLO, a trailblazer in archery innovation for nearly 30 years, brings you the Cross-Tec Crossbow String Silencers. it is an indispensable accessory for any crossbow hunter. With a durable rubber construction, these silencers endure extended use.
You can easily set up it – no need to remove the bowstring from your crossbow. The four-pack ensures compatibility with all crossbow strings, making them a versatile solution for minimizing excess noise and vibrations.
Beyond their noise-reducing prowess, these string silencers enhance accuracy by smoothing out the shooting experience. The technical weather-resistant material ensures that they can withstand various weather conditions. So it is a reliable package for successful hunting trips in any environment.
3. Standing Wolf Navajo Wool Bow String Silencer
The Standing Wolf Navajo Wool String Silencer offers a blend of functionality and style that truly sets them apart in the world of traditional archery accessories. This silencer is crafted from 100% Navajo Churro wool, which adds an authentic touch to your archery gear.
We appreciate its natural water repellency. Rain or shine, you can trust that your bowstring silencer will maintain its effectiveness and ensure a consistent and reliable performance. The visual appeal adds a traditional touch to your equipment.
Installation is a breeze with the included instructions. The reduction of the bowstring “twang” is not just a promise; it’s a tangible benefit that users appreciate. Each package includes a pair of silencers. These silencers are designed for a range of traditional bows, including recurve bows, long bows, and self-bows.
4. LimbSaver Twistlox Crossbow Silencing Kit
The LimbSaver Twistlox Crossbow Silencing Kit revolutionizes the experience for crossbow enthusiasts by providing a comprehensive solution to the persistent issues of noise and vibration. Proudly designed and hand-made in the USA, LimbSaver products are trusted by hunters, military personnel, and law enforcement.
This kit introduces TwistLox suppressors, a revolutionary design that sidesteps the need for a plastic bracket and ensures a secure fit between split limbs with a simple snap. This advanced material absorbs a broad spectrum of frequencies, effectively dispersing energy and vibration for optimal performance.
The user-friendly design allows for easy customization with the option to use two or more suppressors per limb. This adaptability caters to individual preferences and the unique characteristics of different crossbows.
These limb suppressors are built to withstand the extreme torque and power generated by high-powered crossbows. It accommodates various widths and lengths between limbs.
5. Skylety String Silencer for Recurve Compound Bow
The Skylety String Silencer delivers exceptional value, making it a wallet-friendly option in comparison to similar products from other suppliers. However, the affordability doesn’t compromise on quantity or quality, as each purchase includes four 6-inch strips which provide ample material for silencing four bow strings.
The noise reduction capability of these silencers is commendable. It is made from high-quality rubber, which effectively minimizes vibration and noise. The high-quality material also enhances precision and extends the lifespan of your bowstring.
For installation, you only require a rope, allowing you to effortlessly affix the bow string whiskers silencers to your bowstrings without assistance. The compact and lightweight design ensures easy storage, occupying minimal space in your archery kit. Overall, it is a valuable accessory for any recurve or compound bow enthusiast looking for an affordable solution.
6. Bowjax Ultra Jax I String Silencer FLO (Green)
The Bowjax Ultra Jax I String Silencers are a revolutionary choice for archery enthusiasts, highlighting advanced design and a history of innovation since 2000. It is crafted by skilled sportsman engineers. These American-made silencers guarantee unparalleled quality.
With a clever slit down the center, attaching them to the string is a snap, whether you opt for the included zip ties or your preferred string material. This feature allows for effortless installation. Even after being securely zip-tied, you can easily fine-tune the placement up and down the string.
Weighing in at just 21 grains, these string silencers are lightweight yet pack a punch in dampening noise. Not only do they effectively silence the string without compromising speed, but they also ensure minimal impact on accuracy. We have experienced a noticeable reduction in bow noise.
Forget about peep twist concerns – the Ultra Jax I eliminates this worry after the initial bow setup. This means you can focus on their shot without the distraction of peep alignment issues. The cohesive look also enhances the overall aesthetic of your archery gear.
7. Mountain Man Beaver Balls String Silencer
The Mountain Man Beaver Balls String Silencer is a unique and somewhat whimsically named archery accessory that has gained popularity among bowhunters for its effective noise-dampening properties. It is lightweight and preferable for extended use. It is crafted from genuine beaver fur and designed to be attached to the bowstring. The natural materials contribute to the durability and weather resistance.
You can securely tie to the bowstring without requiring additional tools. Insert one end between the strands, then tightly twist down the string until there is only enough left to barely insert between the strands again.
The silencers effectively minimize string oscillation, helping hunters maintain stealth and avoid alarming game animals. Despite their large and fuzzy appearance, they look great on a traditional bow. We tested it on a 40-pound, 50-inch takedown bow.
8. LimbSaver SuperQuad Split Limb Dampener
The LimbSaver SuperQuad Split Limb Dampener is our final recommendation in our ranking of top bow string silencers in 2024, offering a unique blend of innovation and practicality.
This dampener caters to 95% of standard and wide split limb bows, showing a universal appeal irrespective of limb thickness or distance. Its adaptability extends further with two orientation options, which accommodate both wide- and narrow-spaced limbs and ensure a perfect fit for various bow configurations.
With Harnessing NAVCOM technology, it absorbs a broad spectrum of frequencies and dissipates energy and vibrations with unparalleled efficiency. Users benefit from a remarkable 70% reduction in limb vibration. It addresses noise concerns and minimizes rattles and vibrations in split-limb compound bows.
With a 1.47 x 1.89 x 1.41 inches dimension and 1.3 ounces weight, the SuperQuad embodies compactness without compromising performance. It is also durable and weather-resistant.
Type of Bow String Silencers
Bow string silencers come in various types, each designed to address specific aspects of noise reduction and vibration dampening. Here are some common types:
- Whisker Biscuit Silencers: Made from soft materials like fleece or wool, these silencers are attached directly to the whisker biscuit rest. They effectively absorb vibrations and reduce noise during arrow release.
- String Dampeners: These are typically rubber or synthetic attachments that mount directly onto the bowstring. String dampeners absorb string oscillations, minimizing noise and vibration during and after the shot.
- Limb Dampeners: Limb dampeners are installed on the limbs of the bow to absorb and dissipate vibration. By reducing limb movement, they contribute to a quieter shot.
- Cable Dampeners: Attached to the bow’s cables, these dampeners absorb vibrations and reduce the noise generated during the bowstring’s movement.
- Bow Silencing Kits: Comprehensive kits often include a combination of string dampeners, limb dampeners, and cable dampeners. These kits provide a holistic approach to reducing noise across different parts of the bow.
- Rubber Cat Whiskers: These short lengths of rubber strands are mounted on the bowstring, usually near the arrow rest. They effectively absorb string vibrations and contribute to a quieter shot.
- Decelerator Balls: These are rubber balls or weights attached to the bowstring. They function by slowing down the string’s oscillation and reducing noise and vibration upon release.
- Feathered String Silencers: These silencers are crafted from materials such as feathers or synthetic alternatives, resembling small fletchings. They are tied to the bowstring and provide effective dampening.
- Bumper Dampeners: Typically installed on the limbs, bumper dampeners absorb and dissipate energy, minimizing the reverberation that contributes to noise.
- Hybrid Silencers: Some designs combine multiple materials or techniques to achieve enhanced noise reduction. These hybrids often aim to address specific aspects of vibration and noise for a more comprehensive solution.
A Comprehensive Buying Guide for Bow String Silencers
The market offers a wide range of options, each boasting unique features. To aid your decision-making process, let’s see the key factors you should consider before placing the order:
- Material Quality: Look for silencers made from high-quality materials like rubber, felt, or synthetic compounds. These materials effectively absorb vibrations and reduce noise without compromising durability.
- Installation Ease: Opt for silencers that are easy to install. User-friendly designs often come with simple instructions, which minimize the need for professional assistance.
- Compatibility: Ensure compatibility with your specific bow model and string type. Different bows may require distinct silencer designs for optimal performance.
- Effectiveness: Look for silencers that have high noise reduction percentages, aiming for those that can dampen vibrations by up to 90%. Effectiveness is a key indicator of a product’s overall performance.
- Weight Considerations: Balance is key. Choose silencers that effectively reduce noise without adding excessive weight to your bow. Lightweight options contribute to a more agile and comfortable shooting experience.
- Durability: Evaluate the durability of the silencers. Products constructed with robust materials withstand continuous use and harsh weather conditions and ensure a longer lifespan.
- Aesthetic Appeal: While not a functional aspect, the visual appeal of the silencers may be a consideration for some. Choose a design that complements the aesthetics of your bow if this is a priority for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are bow string silencers universal, or do they vary by bow type?
Bow string silencers can vary in their compatibility and effectiveness based on the type of bow. While certain silencers are designed to be universal and can be applied to various bow types, some distinctions need consideration. Compound bows, recurve bows, and longbows each have unique characteristics, and the design and string dynamics differ among them.
Can bow string silencers improve accuracy?
Yes, bow string silencers can potentially improve accuracy by reducing vibrations and noise when the bow is fired. Also, decreased vibration may contribute to less hand shock and help archers maintain better control and aim.
Do bow string silencers affect arrow speed or trajectory?
Bow string silencers, when properly installed and adjusted, typically have a negligible impact on arrow speed or trajectory. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for installation and adjustment to ensure optimal performance. Bow type and overall bow tuning might influence arrow speed and trajectory.
Can I install bow string silencers myself, or do I need professional help?
Installing bow string silencers is a task that can typically be done by archers themselves, and it doesn’t necessarily require professional help. If you’re a beginner, you can find more video tutorials on our YouTube channel. It is also advisable to follow manufacturer instructions carefully.
Do bow string silencers have a lifespan, and how often should they be replaced?
The lifespan depends on factors like material and usage. Regularly inspect your silencers for wear and tear, and replace them when signs of deterioration are noticeable to maintain peak performance.
Can I use multiple types of bow string silencers simultaneously?
Combining different types of silencers is possible, but it’s essential to maintain balance. Experiment cautiously to prevent over-dampening, as it may impact bow performance.
As we conclude our exploration of bow string silencers in 2023, it’s evident that the market offers a diverse array of silencers, each designed to cater to unique preferences and bow specifications. The insights provided in this guide aim to empower you with the knowledge needed to make an informed decision, ensuring your chosen silencers align seamlessly with your bow and shooting style. With the right silencer, you not only hush the noise but also elevate your accuracy and overall performance.
Happy archery, and may your strings sing in silence!