It is very important for every hunter to maintain the sharp edge of their hunting knife so that they do not injure themselves while skinning and cleaning games. Because a hunting knife with a blunt blade is more dangerous than a sharp one. So, it is necessary to keep your hunting knives in the best possible condition if you want to get the best results from them.
However, to choose the right hunting knife sharpener, it is necessary to consider some noteworthy features. For example, the hunting knife sharpener should be lightweight and portable so that you can easily take it with you on the hunt.
We will introduce you to the best sharpeners for your hunting knife that will bring more confidence for your next hunting trip. In this guide, we’ll be discussing both manual and electric sharpeners.
Comparison Table of Best Hunting Knife Sharpeners in 2021.
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
1. Mueller MU-MKS Original Premium Hunting Knife Sharpener
- 4 in 1 Knife Sharpener: 4-step sharpening process, make hunting a fun experience. It also has scissor slot for scissors grinding. The tungsten steel blade sharpening slot for sharpening the old knife and a very blunt knife. Ceramic sharpening slots and diamond sharpening slots for daily sharpening.
- Non-Slip Rubber and Ergonomic Design: Sturdy non-slip rubber base provides maximum grip and increases safety. The handle is also ergonomically shaped to ensure maximum grip and suitable for both left and right handed users.
- Multifunction: Works with all kinds of straight blade steel knives. It includes all steel and ceramic knives, from cutting knives, to carving and slicing knives, to fruit and vegetable knives. The portable knife sharpener allows you to use it at home, outdoors or even when you are camping on the go.
- Durable Material: Mueller MU-MKS made of STAINLESS STEEL, diamond abrasives and high quality ABS plastic. It is strong, durable and designed to last a lifetime. You deserve the manual professional kitchen knife sharpener to be the best straight and toothed.
Mueller MU-MKS hunting knife sharpener suitable for carefully sharpening most knives (kitchen, camping, pocket, and hunting). However, this model is specific for straight blade knives. It is made with high quality, robust and solid components, which ensure maximum durability.
This model is also effective and fast, it carries out the complete regeneration in a few moves with several movements in the same direction. Its 4-step sharpening system allows you to select the sharpening process according to your specific needs.
The ABS plastic handle guarantees a firm and comfortable grip, without the risk of slipping and the ergonomic design fits the palm of the hand ideally. In addition, its small size together with its lightness (11.7 oz.) make it an easily transportable hunting tool.
2. Outdoor Edge Pocket Size Hunting Knife Sharpeners
- Ergonomic Design: It offers a safe and comfortable experience while you work. The non-slip rubber base makes the sharpener kit more stable to prevent accidental injury when sharpening and prevent the pencil sharpener from slipping.
- 4-Stage Knife Sharpener: The scissor slot is for grinding the scissors, the tungsten steel blade sharpening slot for sharpening the old knife and a very blunt knife. Every slot designed for daily sharpening the blunt knife and sharpening the blade.
- Easy to Use and Clean: Place the knife in the slot and pull towards you 3-5 times solo. DO NOT Move back and forth. After a few seconds, restore the blunt knives. Open the scissors and insert it into the slot and slide back several times. The blade will be like new after sharpening. Clean with a damp cloth or a delicate brush, dry after use.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed: If you are not completely satisfied with the Outdoor Edge professional knife sharpener, don’t worry, they provide a 100% defective item in 30 days or money back.
The blunt blade on the manual professional kitchen knife sharpener and enjoy the razor sharpness in seconds. When you don’t need to use it, put it there, it won’t be a threat to children. The ergonomic handle offers a comfortable and stable grip. It is also safe to use and more labor-saving.
The grinding position is made of tungsten carbide, emery, high hardness ceramic and other materials. The four holes can meet your various needs, suitable for all kinds of knives / scissors, slicers, boning, filleting, cleaver and Japanese knives. The lightweight design and small size bring you a novel experience.
3. Fino Edge FE-PSS01 Knife Sharpening System for Home and Outdoor
- High Quality Stone: Fino Edge knife sharpening kits come with high-quality stones for different size knives; pocket knives, scissors, planer, etc. This package includes 3 types of grit for quick and easy sharpening and revitalization + step-by-step manual to guide you.
- Easy to Use: With the C-clamp, the knife sharpening system can be fixed to any horizontal surface (countertop or table, etc.), Provides support and firmness for better handling and greater safety. Sharpen your knives in the comfort of your own pace.
- Safety Design: They have a fixed angle to protect your hands, you can adjust it as you like for a comfortable position to operate. It’s a quick and easy way to sharpen your knife blade. This ultra-secure clamp and tough rubber feet protect it from slip, and won’t damage your knife.
- Professional Knife Sharpener: This product will extend the life of your cutlery and increase the cutting power with this essential kitchen tool. The frame is made of high quality stainless steel to ensure maximum durability.
Fino Edge solved a major problem in the knife sharpening industries. The Fino Edge FE-PSS01 knife sharpener is designed to give you the same expert level sharpening experience. It is a highly complex hunting knife sharpener, which is compact, simple, and highly affordable that anyone can use perfectly every time before hunting.
You can put steady and securely in place to prevent injury and get a perfect angle every time. The diamond stones probably are not the greatest in the market due to the cheap price, but works well for now and then. This model is also pretty straightforward to use and comes ready to use.
4. Chef’sChoice Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- Three sharpening levels: The first step is to rough the blade that needs to be put back into operation. The operation is mechanized and the rotation of the wheels takes place automatically. The second part of the work is done in the appropriate slot, here you work manually and work with delicacy and precision to avoid wearing the blade too much. And the third step uses a patented flexible abrasive system to polish and help prolong the life of serrated knives.
- Very Powerful Machine: The power of the machine is well proportioned to the type of work. It has to carry out and therefore it is very intuitive to make good use of it and quickly become familiar with its operation.
- Consumption: Only 45 watts is the power consumption of this knife sharpener at maximum speed. They make it a very discreet and easy to use object.
- Compact size: This model is pretty much compact in dimensions, which allow it to find a place in any kitchen cabinet without stealing too much space from the other thousand appliances that swarm in our homes. Roust some details design however make it a very solid object.
- Heavy-duty Design: It weighs just over a kilo and this is an aspect that must be considered for the stability. The rubber feet at the base make it even more stable and well planted.
Chef’sChoice Trizor XV EdgeSelect knife sharpener allows you to perform very precise work and with appreciable results even on the most battered knives. The device connects to the house current and works with precision and consistency to bring the blade back to a good level from which the perfectly sharp edge can then be obtained.
This model is appreciated for its advanced performances. Its powerful 45 W motor ensures remarkable sharpening performance. This power makes it particularly fast and effective at each step. Even the oldest and most blunt knives can be returned to maximum efficiency, perhaps those that have not been used for years and that lie forgotten in some corner of a drawer.
Chef’sChoice knife sharpener is compact and but not bulky, so it can easily find a place anywhere in the kitchen, always at hand. It is not difficult to use even if you are a beginner hunter.
5. Work Sharp Mk.2 Professional Electric Knife & Tool Knife Sharpener
- New and Improved Design: Work Sharp Mk.2 is a versatile and professional Knife & Tool Sharpener for every knife you own. It built with original high grade materials with new additional features to make sharpening faster, easier, and repeatable than ever before.
- Built in Flexible Belts: With flexible belt, you can have the same technology in your home or like professionals. The belts conform to sharpen hunting, outdoor pocket and kitchen knives, even serrated knives, scissors, and many other common edge tools.
- Sharpening Guide: It increases precision and repeatability to get the proper edge angle every time you use it and provides a new scratch resistant leather lining. You can quickly change from 25° outdoor knives to 20° Kitchen knives in one guide.
- Two Speed Motor: It will deliver a low speed for more control when sharpening your cutter. But provides all the power you need for sharpening heavier and grinding tasks on tools like lawnmower blades, axes and other common lawn and garden tools.
Work Sharp Mk.2 knife sharpener allows you to perform very precise work and with appreciable results even on the most battered knives. The first step is to rough the blade that needs to be put back into operation. The operation is mechanized and the rotation of the wheels takes place automatically.
The device connects to the house current and works with precision and consistency to bring the blade back to a good level from which the perfectly sharp edge can then be obtained.
The Work Sharp Mk.2 comes with 6 belts. 2 P80, 2 P220, and 2 6000 micro-mesh. It will get you a smooth and sharp edge in under 60 seconds. Because of its space-saving, it can also be easily put back in its place in a kitchen cabinet without taking up too much space.
6. SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener & Survival Tool
- Total 6 Functions: 1. N. 1 V-notch slot – Quickly place a new blade; 2. (precise, CERAMIC) – Sanding for a smooth finished edge; 3. Conical diamond bar (average 400 grains) for serrations and hooks; 4. Diamond bar with hook groove; 5. Iron bar; 6. High frequency emergency whistle
- Portable Design: This is an everyday use tactical knife sharpener with integrated lanyard hole, making it ideal for outdoor hunting, camping and survival related activities. Also useful for professional kitchens.
- Durable Abrasive Materials: It made of durable abrasive materials which delivers superior sharpening performance. The abrasive force of CARBIDE and CERAMIC withstands the test of 10,000 field uses. Never wears it.
- Easy and Versatile Use: This pocket knife sharpener not only quickly sharpens very worn or damaged blades, but is also capable of smoothing a razor to make it sharper. You can use it for both straight and serrated knives. It could be an ideal choice for fishermen, hunters, campers, hikers.
SHARPAL is a USA based company, headquarters in California, with overseas branches in Germany and Australia, aiming to provide consumers with an easy and cost-effective way to gain a net advantage. They are famous in the market because of manufactured and field tested to the highest standards.
However, some unique design make it a very robust and solid object. It weighs just over a 0.1 lbs. The very compact dimensions also help it to find a place in any pocket in your hunting backpack without stealing too much space from the other thousand appliances that swarm in our homes. It’s nearly perfect hunting knife sharpener for an actual survival tool with daily use possibilities.
7. SHARPAL 102N 5-in-1 Pocket Hunting Knife Sharpener for Outdoor
- Quick Edge Sharpening: Tungsten carbide blades for quick edge sharpening. No break detected at the tungsten carbide blade (1) and ceramic blade (2). Carbide side puts a nice edge on it really fast and the ceramic side hones it very well.
- Comfortable to Use: It features soft rubber handle for an ergonomic grip and Feet with non-slip rubber coating. Also, Integrated attachment hole.
- Multifunctional: Multi-groove sharpening stone for hooks and sharp tools. Hook sharpener on the side works pretty good and line cutter works well. It comes handy for hunting, fishing or camping trips. 5 functions integrated in a compact and portable design.
- Integrated Wire Cutter and Cord Cutter: It made of abrasive and durable materials and optimal sharpening. Pass the knife blade through the two sharpening slots 10,000 times each.
Definitely SHARPAL 102N 5-in-1 is an economical, versatile and practical hunting knife sharpener. It is suitable for refurbishing all types of knives, even the most worn ones. It is in fact a project with three different slots, one for larger knives and one for the smaller ones. The third slot even allows you to sharpen all the scissors in the house.
Despite being offered at a highly competitive price, the knife sharpener does not compromise on performance. Among the most noteworthy, we remember its working mode. It is able to offer excellent performance. Thanks to its particularly small size, you can conveniently store in a backpack (always ready for use).
Particularly, its low price makes it one of the best-selling models in the market.
8. Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic Knife Sharpener for Hunting
- Versatile Knife Sharpener: This is a 4-in-1 knife sharpening kit, you can carry within your pocket! Also suitable for serrated blades and hooks. You can easily sharpens all types of blades, regular or serrated, gut hooks and more.
- Well Constructed: This model Constructed with tungsten carbide and ‘V’ ceramic, sharpener for serrated blades and for diamond shafts. The body made of stainless steel, few passes are enough to get an optimal sharpening. The instrument acts in two different stages.
- Safety Blade Sharpener: An ergonomic design and small provide optimum comfortable and increase safety. Sharpens smooth-bladed knives very well, there will be no risk of jagged edges. The small size is also very practical and functional to avoid slipping on the support surface.
Lansky PS-MED01 does not disappoint the expectations of those looking for maximum performance even in the most adverse conditions. It is designed to efficiently sharpen different types of hunting knives to ensure a long life. Even the less experienced user can achieve practically perfect results with a few simple steps.
With this small hunting knife sharpener, it is just like having a professional sharpening kit to put in your pocket or backpack. It always ready to follow its owner in a thousand exciting adventures. Thus the survival equipment is revealed as complete as ever.
It features a tungsten carbide wheel to realign the edges and a ceramic bar to finish the edge on the blade. Therefore, only four or five steps are sufficient, to be practiced with moderate pressure, to restore the complete functionality of a knife that was now ready to throw away.
9. Lansky Roadie ROAD1 Portable Key Chain Knife Sharpener
- Material: Made of ABS plastic, tungsten steel and ceramic, non-toxic and odorless, sturdy and durable, suitable for more damaged knives. It is a portable, compact, and easy to carry.
- With Key Ring: The key ring makes it easier to carry and not easily lost, also perfect for camping trips. It is preferred to others for the possibility of being easily transported anywhere and in safety.
- Small and Compact Size: It is a pocket model, very small and light: it measures only 5.51 x 1.54 x 0.51 inches and weighs only 30 grams. Once stored in its case, it can therefore be safely transported anywhere.
- Easy to Use: It is also easy to use, disassemble and reassemble for cleaning and maintenance. Very low price is another point in favor of the product on the market.
Thanks to its versatility, no blade can resist it. It is in fact designed to efficiently restore not only the blade of different types of knives but also that of garden tools and tools, such as axes and sickles. All at a price that is highly competitive.
A few passes are enough to get surprising results and the blade, by now exhausted, returns to perfect condition. The use does not require a particular technical skill and even the novice user will get more than satisfactory results.
Lansky Roadie ROAD1 knife sharpener also manages to amaze with regard to cleaning and routine maintenance. Each operation is simple and practical, since the various components can be easily put together and take off.
Manual vs. electric hunting knife sharpener
Manual hunting knife sharpener
Some hunters prefer the manual knife sharpener because they believe that the electric knife sharpener is too aggressive with its sharpness, so control over pressure and speed is very important.
Manual knife sharpeners are easier to store because they take up less space. They are also cheaper than electric ones and best for quick touch-ups.
Electric hunting knife sharpener
Electric hunting knife sharpeners on the other hand require minimal effort on the part of the user and the job can be done with a fraction of the energy and time.
Also, electric knife sharpener has more functions, such as if you have a set of hunting knives that contain both American and Asian knives, electric knife sharpener gives you the ability to sharpen all of those hunting knives exactly how you need them.
How to Choose the Best Hunting Knife Sharpener?
As we previously mentioned, your hunting knife sharpener must have a few essential characteristics to do its job properly. To help you see more clearly, here are the most important things that should be considered before making the purchase.
The choice of materials
There are several materials depending on the use of a sharpener. Steel is generally used for blades that made of steel. Its abrasive surface allows you to quickly recreate the edge of a knife.
However, you can choose the diamond for steel knives or any other material. It is particularly recommended for ceramic blades. Ceramic in fact is used after sharpening for an irreproachable finish.
Dimension and weight
The dimensions and weight are the second two most essential criteria in the selection of knife sharpeners. These are then supplemented by questions of compatibility, safety and power of the equipment concerned.
Electric sharpeners, due to the motor and the amount of slots, will necessarily have more relevant dimensions and weight than manual models.
However, if you want a portable hunting knife sharpener, you can choose a wheel models, also available in pocket sizes that weigh less than 100g and fit in the palm of your hand.
The thicker the grain of the sharpener, the more it will have the ability to restart the edge of a knife that no longer cuts. The finer the grain, the sharper it will give the edge of your knife.
The majority of hunting knife sharpeners in the market have these two characteristics through two different slots. Some even have three to suit different types of knives.
Stability is essential for safe sharpening. So choose a model whose base is equipped with non-slip rubber. There are even some knife sharpeners that have a suction cup so that you can attach it to any flat surface, including vertical surfaces. This is an ideal option for sharpening knives with one hand.
It is also very important because it allows not to tire during the maintenance of the blade. The most user-friendly models have an ergonomic handle for a perfect grip. This is a characteristic which also gives the sharpener a certain stability.
Grip and safety
As this is a material on which we will handle sharp objects, we strongly advise you not to neglect the criterion of safety. Even if a knife sharpener can be used by beginners, it does not require any special skills. Choosing the right tool can avoid the risk of accidents and allow you comfortable daily use.
There are also models with non-slip handle or with protection which offer a more secure and comfortable use.
In addition, the presence of magnetic guides on electric sharpeners is also a real plus to get a perfect sharpening angle. Otherwise, you can always go for a model with a guided sharpening system in order to obtain a nice straight edge, especially on pocket knives.
Lots of household appliances are known to have high power consumption. However, a sharpening process usually does not take more than a minute. This is true even for the best performing electric models in the premium class.
Can sharpeners compromise the sharpness of the blades?
The blades of your hunting knife should not be damaged by sharpening if you are using a quality sharpener. It is also advisable don’t use sharpening tools excessively. This is all the more true if they are manually operated models. This can indeed lead to rapid chipping of the edges of your blades.
Can you sharpen a ceramic hunting knife?
Ceramic hunting knives take a long time to dull. You will however be required to sharpen them at some point. Your best bet is to opt for an electric sharpener or a sharpening rod. These tools are more efficient for working with ceramic knives.
How to sharpen ceramic hunting knife?
While metal knives require frequent honing to maintain their effectiveness, ceramic knives stay sharp for a long time. To sharpen these again, use a diamond sharpener. It is also possible to return the cutting edge to the manufacturer so that he can perform the sharpening himself. This operation can be interesting as long as the accessory has an extended sharpening guarantee.
Can manual hunting knife sharpeners wear out?
Sharpening a knife cannot actually destroy it in view of its metallic structure. Occasional sharpening will not also make the metal more brittle. This is always true, even if you apply substantial force while sharpening the steel.
What is the price of a hunting knife sharpener?
There are many models on the market, at all prices and for all needs. You might even be surprised to see manual models that cost more than electric models. This is because it is not necessarily because the tool runs on electricity that it is much more efficient and faster and that it will have to be offered at a high price.
The price of hunting knife sharpeners varies mainly according to its materials and its different functions. Those designed in a material such as steel, allowing only sharpening of flat blades is less expensive compare to models designed in diamond, offering several slots with different grain.
However, the price range start from 10 dollars and exceed over 200 dollars on very high-end tools.
How to sharpen a hunting knife without a tool?
If you do not have the materials provided for this purpose, you can simply use a bowl or mug. In order to use it, all you have to do is turn the container upside down and slide the blade onto its base. You perform the same operation as on a sharpening stone. To do this, you hold your knife firmly and then tilt it at an angle of less than 90 °. You rub each side of the blade on the edge of the mug.
When to sharpen a hunting knife?
In order for the accessory to remain sharp and maintain its performance long enough, sharpen it every time before going to hunting. If the knife still seems sharp, you don’t need to worry about it anymore. To know the right time, you can test it by cutting the meat or others usage items. If it doesn’t cut properly during the operation, it shows that the blade is not sharp enough. So now is the time to take action.