Maintaining the sharpness of a hunting knife is of utmost importance for every hunter. This precaution is vital to prevent accidental injuries during the process of skinning and cleaning game. Unfortunately, a blunt blade poses a greater risk than a well-honed one.
Due to this fact, investing in a high-quality hunting knife sharpener is crucial for maintaining your knives in optimal condition. This ensures you achieve peak performance and longevity from your blades.
When selecting an appropriate hunting knife sharpener at a reasonable cost, several key features warrant consideration. It must be lightweight and portable, facilitating ease of transport during your hunting excursions. This ensures accessibility and convenience when the need arises to sharpen your knife in the field.
In this guide, we’re going to reveal the top 9 options in both manual and electric hunting knife sharpeners. Additionally, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive buying guide section, equipping you with the knowledge and confidence to make an informed decision for your next purchase.
Best Hunting Knife Sharpeners of 2023
Our Ranking of the best hunting knife sharpeners of 2023…
- 1. Mueller MU-MKS Premium Hunting Knife Sharpener – Best Overall
- 2. Outdoor Edge Pocket Size Hunting Knife Sharpener – Editor’s Choice
- 3. Fino Edge FE-PSS01 Knife Sharpening System – Best Value
- 4. Chef’sChoice Trizor XV EdgeSelect – Best Electric Knife Sharpener
- 5. Work Sharp Mk.2 Electric Knife Sharpener – New & Improved Design
- 6. SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 – Best Pocket Hunting Knife Sharpener
- 7. SHARPAL 102N 5-in-1 – Best Small Hunting Knife Sharpener
- 8. Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic – 4 in 1 Hunting Knife Sharpener
- 9. Lansky Roadie ROAD1 Knife Sharpener – Key Chain & Portable Design
1. Mueller MU-MKS Premium Hunting Knife Sharpener
- 4 in 1 Knife Sharpener: 4-step sharpening process, make your hunting experience fun. It also has a scissor slot for scissors grinding. The tungsten steel blade sharpening slot for sharpening the old knife and very blunt knife. Ceramic sharpening slots and diamond sharpening slots are also added for daily sharpening.
- Non-Slip Rubber and Ergonomic Design: The sturdy non-slip rubber base provides maximum grip and increases safety. The handle also has an ergonomic shape to ensure maximum grip and is suitable for both left and right-handed users.
- Multifunction: It works with all kinds of straight-blade steel knives. The portable hunting knife sharpener allows you to use it at home, outdoors, or even when you are camping on the go. The package also includes detailed instructions on how to use it on different knives.
- Durable Material: Mueller MU-MKS is made of STAINLESS STEEL, diamond abrasives, and high-quality ABS plastic. It is strong, durable, and designed to last for a lifetime.
Mueller MU-MKS hunting knife sharpener is suitable for sharpening most knives (kitchen, camping, pocket, and hunting) carefully. However, this model is specific for straight-blade knives. It is made with high-quality, robust and solid components, which ensure maximum durability.
The MU-MKS hunting knife sharpener is also effective and fast. It carries out the complete regeneration in a few moves with several movements in the same direction. Its 4-step sharpening system allows you to select the sharpening process according to your specific needs.
The ABS plastic handle guarantees a firm and comfortable grip, without the risk of slipping and the ergonomic design fits the palm of the hand ideally. In addition, its small size together with its lightness (11.7 oz.) makes it an easily transportable hunting tool. Overall, it is the finest manual knife sharpener that excels at both straight and toothed blade sharpening.
- Simple and fast hunting knife sharpener
- Safe and easy to use for everyone
- Compact and light
- Solidly made knife sharpener
- The scissor sharpener is not as good as the knife sharpener
2. Outdoor Edge Pocket Size Hunting Knife Sharpener
- Ergonomic Design: It offers a safe and comfortable experience while you work. The non-slip rubber base makes the sharpener kit more stable to prevent accidental injury when sharpening and prevent the pencil sharpener from slipping.
- 4-Stage Knife Sharpener: The scissor slot is for grinding the scissors, and the tungsten steel blade sharpening slot is for sharpening the old knife and very blunt knife. Every slot is designed for daily sharpening the blunt knife and the blade.
- Easy to Use and Clean: Place the knife in the slot and pull it towards you 3-5 times solo. DO NOT Move back and forth. After a few seconds, restore the blunt knives. Open the scissors and insert them into the slot and slide them back several times. The blade will be new after sharpening. Clean with a damp cloth or a delicate brush, and dry after use.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed: If you are not completely satisfied with the Outdoor Edge professional hunting knife sharpener, don’t worry, they provide a 100% defective item in 30 days or money back.
This versatile knife sharpener is ideally suited for a wide range of outdoor applications and serves as an excellent lightweight backup for any survival scenario. The 2.5” Blackstone™ coated 8Cr14MoV stainless steel blade undergoes precise heat treatment and is hand-finished to a shaving-sharp edge. This will ensure exceptional edge retention and overall performance.
Simply run the blunt blade through the manual professional knife sharpener and revel in its razor-sharp edge within seconds. When you don’t need to use it, put it there, it won’t be a threat to children. The ergonomic handle offers a comfortable and stable grip. It is also safe to use and more labor-saving.
The grinding position is made of tungsten carbide, emery, high-hardness ceramic, and other materials. The four holes can meet your various needs, suitable for all kinds of knives/scissors, slicers, boning, filleting, cleaver, and Japanese knives. The lightweight design and small size bring you a novel experience.
- Small and portable design
- It has useful graduated sharpening grooves
- Relatively stable if placed on the surface properly
- Multifunctional and easy to use
- It also has a fish hook sharpener
- Since small, can move if not careful when sharpening your knife
3. Fino Edge FE-PSS01 Knife Sharpening System
- High-Quality Stone: Fino Edge knife sharpening kits come with high-quality stones for different sizes of knives; pocket knives, scissors, planer, etc… The package includes 3 types of grit for quick and easy sharpening and revitalization + step-by-step manual to guide you.
- Easy to Use: With the C-clamp, the knife sharpening system can be fixed to any horizontal surface (countertop or table, etc.), providing support and firmness for better handling and greater safety. You can sharpen your knives at the comfort of your own pace.
- Safety Design: They have a fixed angle to protect your hands, you can adjust it as you like for a comfortable position to operate. It’s a quick and easy way to sharpen your knife blade. This ultra-secure clamp and tough rubber feet protect it from slipping, and won’t damage your knife.
- Professional Knife Sharpener: This product will extend the life of your cutlery and increase the cutting power with this essential kitchen tool. The frame is made of high-quality stainless steel to ensure maximum durability.
Fino Edge solved a major problem of hunting knife sharpening by introducing the FE-PSS01. The FE-PSS01 knife sharpener is designed to give you the same expert-level sharpening experience. It is compact, simple, and highly affordable and anyone can use it perfectly every time before hunting. However, it is a highly complex hunting knife sharpener, so we don’t recommend it for beginner users.
You can put it steady and securely in place to prevent injury and get a perfect angle every time. Diamond stones probably are not the greatest in the market because of the cheap price, but work well for now and then. This model is also pretty straightforward to use and comes with manual instruction papers.
- Easy-adjust angle selector
- Sturdy and durable frame
- Diamond-sharp cutting edge
- Fast, simple and fail-proof
- Adjustable angle guide
- The angle marks are not accurate
4. Chef’sChoice Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- Three sharpening levels: The first step is to rough the blade that needs to be put back into operation. The operation is mechanized and the rotation of the wheels takes place automatically. The second part of the work is done in the appropriate slot, here you work manually and work with delicacy and precision to avoid wearing the blade too much. And the third step uses a patented flexible abrasive system to polish and help prolong the life of serrated knives.
- Very Powerful Machine: The power of the machine is well proportioned to the type of work. It has to be carried out and therefore it is very intuitive to make good use of it and quickly become familiar with its operation.
- Consumption: With a maximum speed power consumption of only 45 watts, this knife sharpener is remarkably discreet and user-friendly.
- Compact size: This model is pretty much compact in dimensions, which allows it to find a place in your backpack without stealing too much space from the other gear that is essential for outings. Roust some details design however make it a very solid object.
- Heavy-duty Design: It weighs just over a kilo and this is an aspect that must be considered for stability. The rubber feet at the base make it even more stable and well-planted.
Chef’sChoice Trizor XV EdgeSelect knife sharpener allows you to perform very precise work with appreciable results even on the most battered knives. The device connects to the house current and works with precision and consistency to bring the blade back to a good level from which the perfectly sharp edge can then be obtained.
This model is appreciated for its advanced performance. Its powerful 45 W motor ensures excellent sharpening performance. This power makes it particularly fast and effective at each step. Even the oldest and most blunt knives can be returned to maximum efficiency, perhaps those that have not been used for years and that lie forgotten in some corner of a drawer.
Chef’sChoice knife sharpener is also compact but not bulky, so it can easily find a place anywhere in the kitchen, always at hand. It is not difficult to use even if you are a beginner hunter.
- Very easy to use and set up
- Sharpens both large and small hunting knives
- You can sharpen your knife adequately fast
- 100% diamond abrasives
- 3-year limited warranty
- A little bit expensive
- It will scratch your blades if you are sharp for a long time period, so don’t use it with expensive knives
5. Work Sharp Mk.2 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- New and Improved Design: The Work Sharp Mk.2 is a versatile and professional knife and tool Sharpener for every knife you own. It is built with original high-grade materials with new additional features to make sharpening faster, easier, and repeatable than ever before.
- Built-in Flexible Belts: With a flexible belt, you can have the same technology in your home or like professionals. The belts conform to sharpen hunting, outdoor pocket and kitchen knives, and even serrated knives, scissors, and many other common edge tools.
- Sharpening Guide: It increases precision and repeatability to get the proper edge angle every time you use it and provides a new scratch-resistant leather lining. You can quickly change from 25° outdoor knives to 20° Kitchen knives in one guide.
- Two-Speed Motor: It will deliver a low speed for more control when sharpening your cutter. But provides all the power you need for sharpening heavier and grinding tasks on tools like lawnmower blades, axes, and other common lawn and garden tools.
Work Sharp Mk.2 hunting knife sharpener allows you to perform very precise work with appreciable results even on the most battered knives. The first step is to rough the blade that needs to be put back into operation. The operation is mechanized and the rotation of the wheels takes place automatically.
This device is designed to connect to the household current, delivering pinpoint and consistent performance. It effectively restores the blade to a solid foundation from which a perfectly sharp edge can be effortlessly achieved.
The Work Sharp Mk.2 comes with 6 belts. 2 P80, 2 P220, and 2 6000 micro-mesh. It will get you a smooth and sharp edge in under 60 seconds. Due to its space-saving, it can also be easily put back in its place in a kitchen cabinet without taking up too much space.
- Versatile and professional hunting knife sharpener
- Works well for hunting knives
- Fast and smooth operation
- Handy and easy to carry
- Best value for your money
- The edge will be sharp, but it won’t be mirror pretty
- Easy to mess up your edge if done improperly
6. SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener
- Total 6 Functions: 1. N. 1 V-notch slot – Quickly place a new blade; 2. (precise, CERAMIC) – Sanding for a smooth finished edge; 3. Conical diamond bar (average 400 grains) for serrations and hooks; 4. Diamond bar with hook groove; 5. Iron bar; 6. High-frequency emergency whistle
- Portable Design: This is an everyday-use tactical knife sharpener with an integrated lanyard hole, which makes it an ideal choice for hunting, camping, and survival-related activities. Also, this model is useful for professional kitchens.
- Durable Abrasive Materials: It is made of durable abrasive materials that deliver superior sharpening performance. The abrasive force of CARBIDE and CERAMIC withstands the test of 10,000 field uses. Never wears it.
- Easy and Versatile Use: This pocket knife sharpener not only quickly sharpens very worn or damaged blades, but is also capable of smoothing a razor to make it sharper. You can use it for both straight and serrated knives. It could be an ideal choice for fishermen, hunters, campers and hikers.
SHARPAL is a USA-based company, headquarters in California, with overseas branches in Germany and Australia, aiming to provide consumers with an easy and cost-effective way to gain a net advantage. They are famous in the market because of manufactured and field-tested to the highest standards.
The knife sharpener is designed to keep your blades razor sharp. However, some unique designs make it a very robust and solid hunting knife sharpener. It weighs just over 0.1 lbs. The very compact dimensions also help it to find a place in any pocket in your hunting backpack without stealing too much space from the other thousand appliances that swarm in our homes. It’s a perfect hunting knife sharpener for an actual survival tool with daily use possibilities.
- Compact and small size
- Premium abrasive material
- Multi-functional and easy to use
- Comes with three years warranty
- Preset optimal sharpening angle
- Built-in lanyard hole
- The whistle is actually loud
7. SHARPAL 102N 5-in-1 Pocket Hunting Knife Sharpener
- Quick Edge Sharpening: Tungsten carbide blades for quick edge sharpening. No break was detected at the tungsten carbide blade (1) and ceramic blade (2). The Carbide side swiftly sharpens the edge, while the ceramic side finely hones it to perfection.
- Comfortable to Use: It features a soft rubber handle for an ergonomic grip and Feet with non-slip rubber coating. Also, it is an integrated attachment hole.
- Multifunctional: Multi-groove sharpening stone for hooks and sharp tools. The hook sharpener on the side works pretty well and the line cutter works well. It comes in handy for hunting, fishing or camping trips. The 5 functions are integrated with a compact and portable design.
- Integrated Wire Cutter and Cord Cutter: This hunting knife sharpener is made of abrasive and durable materials that are optimal for sharpening. Pass the knife blade through the two sharpening slots 10,000 times each.
The Definitely SHARPAL 102N 5-in-1 is an economical, versatile, and practical hunting knife sharpener on the market. It is suitable for refurbishing all types of knives, even the most worn ones. It is in fact a project with three different slots, one for larger knives and one for the smaller ones. The third slot even allows you to sharpen all the scissors in the house.
Despite being offered at a highly competitive price, Definitely, SHARPAL 102N 5-in-1 knife sharpener definitely does not compromise on performance. Among the most noteworthy, we remember its working mode. It is also able to offer excellent performance. Thanks to its small size, you can conveniently store it in a backpack (always ready for use).
The low price makes it one of the best-selling hunting knife sharpeners on the market. It doesn’t serve as a complete substitute for a whetstone, but it allows anyone to attain a practical level of sharpness while on the move.
- Built-in lanyard hole
- Portable and lightweight design
- Easy to store and carry
- Soft grip and anti-slip feet
- Cheap price
- Compass could be better
8. Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic Knife Sharpener
- Versatile Knife Sharpener: This is a 4-in-1 knife sharpening kit that you can carry within your pocket! Also, this model is suitable for serrated blades and hooks. You can easily sharpen all types of blades, regular or serrated, gut hooks, and more.
- Well Constructed: it is constructed with tungsten carbide and ‘V’ ceramic, sharpener for serrated blades and for diamond shafts. The body is made of stainless steel, few passes are enough to get optimal sharpening. The instrument acts in two different stages.
- Safety Blade Sharpener: An ergonomic design and small provide optimum comfort and increase safety. It shines at sharpening smooth-bladed knives, ensuring a smooth edge without any risk of jagged edges. The small size is also very practical and functional to avoid slipping on the support surface.
The Lansky PS-MED01 does not disappoint the expectations of those looking for maximum performance even in the most adverse conditions. It is designed to sharpen efficiently different types of hunting knives to ensure a long life. Even the less experienced user can achieve perfect results with a few simple steps.
With this small hunting knife sharpening gadget, it is just like having a professional sharpening kit to put in your pocket or backpack. It is always ready to follow its owner on a thousand exciting adventures. Therefore, the survival equipment is revealed as complete as ever.
It features a tungsten carbide wheel to realign the edges and a ceramic bar to finish the edge on the blade. Therefore, only four or five steps are sufficient, to be practiced with moderate pressure, to restore the complete functionality of a knife that was now ready to throw away.
- Built with Diamond file
- Small but durable construction
- Cuts loads of time out of honing
- Resets ground bevel degrees
- Great choice for the price
- Very small size sometimes difficult to find
- Restore badly damaged bevels
9. Lansky Roadie ROAD1 Portable Key Chain Knife Sharpener
- Material: Made of ABS plastic, tungsten steel and ceramic, non-toxic and odorless, sturdy and durable, suitable for more damaged knives. It is portable, compact, and easy to carry.
- With Key Ring: The key ring makes it easier to carry and not easily lost, also perfect for camping trips. It is preferred to others for the possibility of being easily transported anywhere and in safety.
- Small and Compact Size: It is a pocket-size hunting knife sharpener, it measures only 5.51 x 1.54 x 0.51 inches and weighs only 30 grams. Once stored in its case, it can therefore be safely transported anywhere.
- Easy to Use: it is easy to use, disassemble and reassemble for cleaning and maintenance. Very low price is another point in favor of the product on the market.
Thanks to its versatility, no blade can resist it. It is in fact designed to restore efficiently not only the blade of different types of knives but also that of garden tools such as axes and sickles.
A few passes are enough to get surprising results and the blade, by now exhausted, returns to perfect condition. You don’t require particular technical skills and even the novice user will get more than satisfactory results.
Lansky Roadie ROAD1 hunting knife sharpener also manages to amaze with regard to cleaning and routine maintenance. Each operation is simple and practical since the various components can be easily put together and taken off. All of this comes at a highly competitive price point.
- Carbide sharpener
- Slim design for hunting
- Lightweight metal construction
- Small and easy to carry
- Multiple tools come into the package
- Pretty good choice for the price
- Very small size
- No warranty
Manual vs Electric Hunting Knife Sharpener
Let’s see the details between manual and electric hunting knife sharpeners…
Manual hunting knife sharpener
Some hunters lean towards manual knife sharpeners due to the perceived aggressiveness of electric models. They value the ability to have precise control over pressure and speed during the sharpening process. Manual knife sharpeners are easier to store because they take up less space. They are also cheaper than electric ones and best for quick touch-ups.
Electric hunting knife sharpener
Electric hunting knife sharpeners on the other hand require minimal effort on the part of the user and the job can be done with a fraction of the energy and time. Also, an electric knife sharpener has more functions, such as if you have a set of hunting knives that contain both American and Asian knives, an electric knife sharpener gives you the ability to sharpen all of those hunting knives exactly how you need them.
How to Choose the Best Hunting Knife Sharpeners?
As we previously mentioned, your hunting knife sharpener must have a few essential characteristics to do its job properly. To provide you with a clearer perspective, here are the crucial factors that should be taken into account before making a purchasing decision.
The choice of materials
There are several materials depending on the use of a knife sharpener. Steel is generally used for blades that are made of steel. Its abrasive surface allows you to recreate the edge of a knife much more quickly. However, you can choose Diamond for steel knives or any other material. We particularly recommended it for ceramic blades. Ceramic in fact is used after sharpening for an irreproachable finish.
Dimension and weight
The dimensions and weight are the second two most essential criteria in the selection of hunting knife sharpeners. These are then supplemented by questions of compatibility, safety, and power of the equipment concerned.
Electric sharpeners, because of the motor and the number of slots, will necessarily have more relevant dimensions and weight than manual models. However, if you want a portable hunting knife sharpener, you can choose models with wheels. Hunting knife sharpeners are also available in pocket sizes that weigh less than 100g and fit in the palm of your hand.
The thicker the grain of the sharpener, the more it will have the ability to restart the edge of a knife that no longer cuts. The finer the grain, the sharper it will give the edge of your knife. The majority of hunting knife sharpeners on the market have these two characteristics through two different slots. Some even have three to suit different types of knives.
Stability is essential for safe sharpening. So Make sure to choose a model the base is equipped with non-slip rubber. There are even some knife sharpeners that have a suction cup so that you can attach it to any flat surface, including vertical surfaces. This is an ideal option for sharpening knives with one hand.
It is also very important the hunting knife has an ergonomic design that allows it not to tire during the maintenance of the blade. The most user-friendly models have an ergonomic handle for a perfect grip. This is a characteristic that gives the sharpener certain stability.
Grip and safety
As this is a material on which we will handle sharp objects, we strongly advise you not to neglect the criterion of safety. Even if a knife sharpener can be used by beginners, it does not require any special skills. Choosing the right tool can avoid the risk of accidents and allow you comfortable daily use. There are also models with non-slip handles or with protection that offer a more secure and comfortable use.
In addition, the presence of magnetic guides on electric sharpeners is also a real plus to getting a perfect sharpening angle. Otherwise, you can always go for a model with a guided sharpening system in order to get a nice straight edge, especially on pocket knives.
Lots of household appliances are known to have high power consumption. However, a sharpening process usually does not take more than a minute. This is true even for the best-performing electric models in the premium class.
Can sharpeners compromise the sharpness of the blades?
The blades of your hunting knife should not be damaged by sharpening if you use a quality knife sharpener. It is also advisable not to use sharpening tools excessively. This is all the more true if they are manually operated models. This can indeed lead to rapid chipping of the edges of your blades.
Can you sharpen a ceramic hunting knife?
Ceramic hunting knives take a long time to dull. You will however be required to sharpen them at some point. Your best bet is to choose an electric sharpener or a sharpening rod. These tools are more efficient for working with ceramic knives.
How to sharpen ceramic hunting knives?
While metal knives require frequent honing to maintain their effectiveness, ceramic knives stay sharp for a long time. To sharpen these again, use a diamond sharpener. It is also possible to return the cutting edge to the manufacturer so that he can perform the sharpening himself. This operation can be interesting as long as the accessory has an extended sharpening guarantee.
Can manual hunting knife sharpeners wear out?
Sharpening a knife cannot actually destroy it in view of its metallic structure. Occasional sharpening will not also make the metal more brittle. This is always true, even if you apply substantial force while sharpening the steel.
What is the price of a hunting knife sharpener?
There are many models on the market at all prices and needs. You might even be surprised to see manual models that cost more than electric models. It’s important to understand that just because a tool is electric doesn’t automatically mean it’s more efficient or faster, nor does it necessarily come with a high price tag. Other factors play a significant role in determining its effectiveness and cost.
The price of hunting knife sharpeners varies mainly according to their materials and different functions. Those designed in a material such as steel, allowing only sharpening flat blades are less expensive compared to models designed in diamond, offering several slots with different grains. However, the price range starts from 10 dollars and exceeds up to 200 dollars on very high-end tools.
How to sharpen a hunting knife without a tool?
If you do not have the materials provided for this purpose, you can simply use a bowl or mug. In order to use it properly, all you have to do is turn the container upside down and slide the blade onto its base. You perform the same operation as on a sharpening stone. To do this, you hold your knife firmly and then tilt it at an angle of less than 90 °. You rub each side of the blade on the edge of the mug.
When to sharpen a hunting knife?
In order for the accessory to remain sharp and maintain its performance long enough, sharpening it every time before going hunting is recommended. If the knife still seems sharp, you don’t need to worry about it anymore. To know the right time, you can test it by cutting the meat or other usage items. Keep in mind, if it doesn’t cut properly during the operation, it shows that the blade is not sharp enough. So now is the time to take action.
After a thorough examination of the best hunting knife sharpeners available in 2023, it’s clear that there are several outstanding options to consider. Each sharpener offers unique features and benefits, catering to different preferences and needs. The competitive pricing of these sharpeners ensures that you can find a high-quality tool without breaking the bank.