Tetherball is a classic game that you can easily put in your backyard. It is played by two people standing on opposite sides of the pole. With each player hitting the ball in attempts to completely wrap the rope around the pole.
Tetherball consists of a ball attached to a pole by a rope. The pole can be installed directly in the ground or attached to a mobile base, and this affects the price. Both configurations work well. You just need to decide whether you install permanently or temporarily.
The temporary installation is good for your yard. The height of the pole varies the size of the ball. A pole with a larger ball is usually better for younger children shorter.
- Other Products We Judged
- 1. Lifetime – 90029 Portable Tetherball System
- 2. Baden Champions Series Tetherball Set – Easy Setup
- 3. Sportime In-Ground Tetherball Pole – Indoor & Outdoor
- 4. Park & Sun Sports Permanent Outdoor Tetherball Set
- 5. Mookie Classic Championship Swingball – Tetherball Set
- 6. Franklin Sports Tetherball for Classic Outdoor Game
- 7. Park & Sun Sports Portable Backyard Classic Tetherball Set
- 8. Champion Sports TTGAME Tetherball Set with Tennis ball
- 9. Park & Sun Sports Portable Outdoor Tetherball Set
- 10. All Surface PRO Swingball with Portable Tetherball Set
- Buyer’s Guide
- Advice to install Tetherball sets
- Frequently Ask Questions
Other Products We Judged
Although we think our main recommendations are the best tetherball sets on the market, there are some other tetherball sets that use tennis balls and rackets that deserve to be briefly covered. For a simple garden game that is ideal for kids.
There is the Swingball squirrel product, which comes in three separate steel sections and has a weighted base that doubles as a carrying case. The spiral guide at the top of the post helps the tie wrapper carefully every time.
For older children or adults, there is the PRO Set Swingball All Surface, which has a pole and larger racquets to accommodate older sturdy players. The base includes a score tracking, and rackets can be stored on the pole itself.
To learn more about the different types of tetherballs and their functions, continue reading our buying guide. When you’re ready to buy, take a look at our highly recommended big 10 tetherball set.
Checkout: our Comparison table of best tetherballs sets in 2020
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
1. Lifetime – 90029 Portable Tetherball System
The Portable Tetherball System from Lifetime Products brings great childhood playground games to the convenience and safety of your own backyard. It comes with a soft-touch ball and nylon cord, a heavy-duty portable base, and durable weather-resistant construction.
You can easily set up and store. It has 72 in. Nylon Cord with Steel Attachment Hook, and 30 in. You do not need to have a hole in the ground to set the pole in. That is the best part of it!
The 20 ft. zone is more for comfort and safety. As long as you have a tennis ball that was pre-attached to a rope and had a carabineer, you would be fine. It is a standard tetherball size, youth, teenagers and adults can all play it.
Lifetime Tetherball Set is completely safe for both children and adults. It is strong enough to stand up to aggressive play. It doesn’t have wheels but it rolls easily on its base when you tilt it, and it doesn’t require a cement base.
2. Baden Champions Series Tetherball Set – Easy Setup
Our next choice comes from Baden’s Champions Series Tetherball Set. We have no doubt that Baden strives to produce the highest quality yard games on the planet. They have spared no exception with this tetherball set. So, if you’re looking to bring home some a quality yard game look no further.
This tetherball set is well-made, sturdy, and easy to assemble. This regulation size portable tetherball set comes with everything you need to bring home a piece of the schoolyard.
Baden Champions Series Tetherball set also comes packaged with a detachable white steel powder-coated pole which stands fully assembled at 10 feet 5 inches.
The pole is completely weather and rust-resistant and works fine as long as fastened down in the ground for it does not wiggle. This set has been really awesome for the price. And it’s not a big deal tamp the dirt down better when it starts to wiggle.
3. Sportime In-Ground Tetherball Pole – Indoor & Outdoor
Sportime In-Ground Tetherball Pole sets features a galvanized finish and you can use for permanent (cement in place) or temporary (ground sleeve provided) installation.
This item comes with 2 options, a 5 feet pole or you can use an extension to make it 7 feet. It will last for many years. Very sturdy and good for the school playground. It comes with instructions on options of how to put it in the ground.
This pole is very heavy duty and of commercial-grade quality. It is like a pole you would see in a public park. The pole is also removable however there is some space between the pole and the base causing.
The portable outdoor Tetherball intervention game is portable, so it can be installed and stored easily, making it a favorite game group for just a few friends or games in the yard.
Reminiscent of childhood playground games, but strong enough to withstand aggressively. This set is perfect for any portable playground or lawn game, picnic or family gathering. Note that it only comes with pole doesn’t include ball and rope.
4. Park & Sun Sports Permanent Outdoor Tetherball Set
Park and Sun Sports is a well-known company providing high-quality sports items for more than a decade. This tetherball set is a great example. This tetherball set equipped with highly durable and rust-resistant galvanized steel tetherball pole.
The great things, each tetherball set comes with a standard size tetherball made with softer volleyball type material which is easier on the hands and forearms. This set is durable and softer than a traditional rubber tetherball.
This unit features with an extension and that makes it 12 foot 6 inches. Without the extension, it is 6 foot 2-foot in-ground and 4 foot out of ground. It is a great set for both beginners and professionals.
The pole is in two pieces and there is one piece that you insert into the ground by digging a small hole. The rope & ball easily attach to the top of the pole.
This set comes with a metal sleeve that you gently pound into the ground being careful not to disfigure the round shape. The sleeve is for the convenience because of able to remove the pole to mow or store away for the winter. I highly recommend you if you want to buy a high-quality tetherball set.
5. Mookie Classic Championship Swingball – Tetherball Set
The whole family will love it excitingly to compete with the Mookie Swingball Set-based Fans. It designed just like the classic one but is suitable for younger children. You don’t need to playground or field to play this game.
The cane made of steel is perfectly in the base, and adjustable in height (up to 1.4 m). The Checker bats are light but sturdy. It also includes tennis ball grade tournament, 15000 strokes guaranteed. Easy to set up and all components fit comfortably in the locking transport base.
This ball style game is suitable for both single or double play, and can be adjusted to rotate freely or turn up and down the spiral. Save and carry out in all parts. This game is for ages 4 and up, suitable for both kids and adults.
With weatherproof and rugged components, the Swingball Vents is built to last. The base offers incredible stability and can be weighted with sand or water for a sturdy surface on any floor.
6. Franklin Sports Tetherball for Classic Outdoor Game
This is a great set up for a fun backyard game. Adults and kids alike. It is easy to assemble, ball blows up nicely. This set comes with a pump, can play within 5 minutes of opening package. It’s perfect for the beach and picnics.
The structure is sturdy enough and the ball is massive and fine all around. This is a toy that upgrades your yard for the kids without making much shade and killing grass like a trampoline. For the price, this is a great set.
Excellent home use tetherball set if you set the base in a bit of poured concrete. This isn’t rugged enough for heavy-duty general playground or schoolyard use, but would be fine in most back yards.
It is very simple to put together. It wobbles a little but you’re having so much fun you don’t notice. It’s fun and easy to play even alone great exercise. This is a great activity for a day when you don’t know what else to do.
7. Park & Sun Sports Portable Backyard Classic Tetherball Set
Bring the fun of Tetherball to your patio with the addition of the Park and Sun Classic Set Tetherball – Americana. The Tetherball is manufactured with high quality “Soft-Touch” material in red, white, and blue colors. An internal cable connector keeps the ball intact, and 12-inch Ground Case provides easy removal.
The robust 3-Piece Pole is made of galvanized steel and has a thickness of 3.8 cm in diameter. The pole is nice sturdy that doesn’t wobble when you are hitting the ball back and forth. The three sections of about 2 1/2 feet length of pipe that you just click together it’s quite tall when you set it up.
But the rope that comes with the ball is long enough to set it to any child’s height. I like that you can disconnect the ball and bring it in out of bad weather. The pole is a little weak for heavy hitters. It can be removed from the cement base.
8. Champion Sports TTGAME Tetherball Set with Tennis ball
Enjoy this classic game indoors or outdoors last intervention with rubber horseshoes, rubber mat for children with picks and plastic dowels. This set is great fun in any weather. It is bright and colorful game pieces.
This Tether Tennis set is designed for kids and their parents for hours of outdoor fun and friendly competition at beginner level play. The set is of good quality.
It comes with 2 tennis paddles. This set also includes a 2-piece metal bar with an adjustable arm and spiral coil. It is ideal for outdoor and e.g. game with the rules similar to Tetherball.
It is good quality and provides fun and outdoor activity for years to come. If you play with all the forces, the ball is broken. But the same goes for any tennis ball. Perfect for the kids and adults too.
9. Park & Sun Sports Portable Outdoor Tetherball Set
This is another great Tetherball from Park & Sun Sports Brand. It features with a 12″ main anchor spike and 3 additional 10″ ground anchors that fit into the base of the pole, providing ample stability for your hardest serve.
This standard-sized tetherball made with softer volleyball type material which is easier on the hands and forearms. It is durable and softer than a traditional rubber tetherball. The Soft Touch Tetherball is a perfect replacement tetherball and will provide hours of play.
It comes with the easy installation process of this tetherball pole, you will never have to create a base for the pole with cement or other bulky base options.
The stand is strong it’s just that the pole comes out of the ground when you play. Kids would be different from adults though. They don’t play as hard. Unless you can figure out how to get the pole from coming loose.
10. All Surface PRO Swingball with Portable Tetherball Set
Last but not least, this is a great budget-friendly Portable Tetherball Set. The Championship Swingball has small paddles and only goes up to 48″ – more for juniors.
The durable lid prevents leakages and increased water capacity for unrivaled stability. The handle provides easy carrying. The ball can hit you in the arm since the plastic paddles are paddles and not racquets.
This Pro Swingball offers active playtime for all ages. Suitable for solo play, or double play. The storage inside the portable case is perfect. The portability and inside or outside factor are both excellent. There are 3 parts to the pole and one of them has a tapered end that fit.
It is true that each tetherball set has a specific advantage. So it is crucial to justify them well. To make a good choice, it is essential to know certain points. Therefore, here is some information and tips on tetherball sets.
Type of tetherballs
The two main types of tetherball game are dirt and mobile:
These sets are installed in the ground. Either by inserting a sleeve into a hole in the ground for the pole or by fixing the pole in the hole with cement. A cement base is the beefy option, but it has the obvious disadvantage that you cannot move the pole once it is in position.
In these sets, the pole is inserted into a heavy base often made of plastic and weighted with sand or water to maintain constant. These are not nearly as rugged as in-ground sets, but the setup is a lot easier and the whole tetherball can be moved to different places.
These sets are a good choice for anyone who cares about their yard because you can move the game when the grass starts showing wear.
Choose carefully where you place your tetherball game, especially if you opt for a permanent installation. A tetherball set needs a circular area at least 20 feet in diameter around the post.
Keep in mind that you need vertical clearance and in order to avoid putting trees or branches near the pole. You can expect the grass around the pole to flatten or even die if the tetherball set is used regularly.
Although traditional sets use a captive volleyball at the end of the rope. A few small sets use a tennis ball that players hit with plastic rackets. The principle of the game is the same – wrap the ball around the pole in your direction – but the game has a different meaning. These small sets are best suited for young children.
Standard posts are ten balloon captive feet high, but some games can be as short as five. The right height depends on the age, size and skill level of the players. In most cases, the larger pole is the best option for players of a range of ages, so make sure the size suits your need.
The materials that make up the tetherball put the biggest role in the price and determine how long the whole thing will last.
- Pole: The pole is usually made of galvanized steel, which is sturdy and unlikely to rust. The mast can come as one segment or several smaller segments. While a pole with multiple segments is easier to store and transport, it is not as robust as a solid pole.
- Rope: The rope is usually made of durable braided nylon. This is the norm in most games, but the thickness of the rope can vary. Since a frayed rope is the most common problem with captive ball games. Look for a thick rope that will hold up well over time. Replacing a rope is not expensive, but it can still be a problem.
- Ball: The ball must be rubber or nylon and be similar in size and weight to a volleyball. Rubber balls are soft, but unlikely to last as long as a firm nylon ball. Watch how the rope attaches to the ball. If the loop sticks out of the ball, players could hurt their hands when they hit the ball. Look for sets with the buckle embedded in the ball.
Price of tetherball sets
- Cheap: Basic games that cost $ 25 to $ 50, tetherball sets usually use a tennis ball and are played with plastic rackets. These are quite short with a portable plastic base and make a good option for young children. Some games in this range can even be used indoors.
- Mid-range: These games cost $ 50 to $ 100 and vary in height from five to ten feet and can be mobile or on the ground. Many sets in this range use rubber or nylon balls and have segmented or solid poles.
- Expensive: In the $ 100 to $ 150 range are sets designed for permanent tetherball installation. The posts are usually made of strong galvanized steel, and the nylon rope is thicker than the rope on the cheaper models. This is the best price range for a set of portable tetherball set that gets regular use.
Advice to install Tetherball sets
- Use a pole hole digger: this can be a useful tool when creating the hole for the tetherball pole. Expect the lawn around the pole to turn into the soil because the grass will not be able to withstand regular wear.
- Consider the sand: you can create a circle of sand around the pole to give your tetherball a more attractive look. Tetherball can also be played on the pavement.
- Keep the ball well inflated: this will help prevent injuries and reduce the risk of the ball being shattered.
- Check the height of the post: the length of the pole is not necessarily the height of the pole for the game because a portion of the pole – usually about two feet – must be securely anchored in the ground.
Frequently Ask Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about tetherball sets. This section helps to choose the right one instantly in our top ten lists.
How safe is tetherball?
As it is a low contact sport, injuries are rare balloon captive. The greatest risk of injury is to be hit by the ball or burn the rope if the rope wraps around your arm.
Can Tetherball be played solo?
Yes indeed. This is a great way to practice your service, and it can be a great source of exercise.
Is it better to install the pole in the ground or cement?
It depends on how soft the floor is in your yard and whether you agree with having a small cement surface in your yard. Removing cement can be difficult, but if you have soft ground and want your pole to be as stable as possible, cement maybe your best option.
Sabbir Hossain obtained an Honors degree in Marketing, then specialized in training in blog writing, reporting and digital communication. Currently doing Masters in Digital Marketing. Read more about him.