Tetherball is a classic game that you can easily play in your backyard. It’s a fun sport and a great activity you can share with family and friends to make fun of. This game can be easily adapted for players of all ages, sizes and abilities.
However, tetherball sets are available in different sizes designs and materials. Unlike the previous tetherballs, which were hard and often uncomfortable to strike, all modern portable tetherball sets can be mobile or in the ground. Many of them have softer balls that do not sting your hands just as much as the old ones did.
How to choose the best tetherball set for the money?
Don’t worry we are here to help you choose the best tetherball set in 2022. We have manually tested more than 30 products and finally pick 10 tetherball sets to make this list accessible to everyone. We don’t work for any specific brand and we are determined to assist you so that you always get the best possible purchase.
- Other Products We Judged
- Best Tetherball Sets Reviews 2022
- 1. Lifetime – 90029 Portable Tetherball System
- 2. Baden Champions Series Tetherball Set
- 3. Sportime In-Ground Tetherball Pole
- 4. Park & Sun Sports Permanent Tetherball Set
- 5. Mookie Classic Championship Swingball
- 6. Franklin Sports Classic Tetherball for Outdoor
- 7. Park & Sun Sports Backyard Classic Tetherball Set
- 8. Champion Sports TTGAME Tetherball & Tennis Ball
- 9. Park & Sun Sports TP-PORTABLE-158 Tetherball Set
- 10. All Surface PRO Swingball with Tetherball Set
- Buyer’s Guide: Tetherball Set
- Advice to install Tetherball sets
- Frequently Ask Questions
Other Products We Judged
Although we think our main recommendations are the best tetherball sets on the market, there are some other types of models that use tennis balls and rackets that deserve to be briefly covered. For a simple garden game, they are ideal for kids.
There is the Swingball squirrel product, which comes in three separate steel sections and has a weighted base that doubles as a carrying case. The spiral guide at the top of the post helps the tie wrapper carefully every time.
For older children or adults, there is the PRO Set Swingball All Surface, which has a pole and larger racquets to accommodate older sturdy players. The base includes score tracking, and rackets can be stored on the pole itself. Taller players watch over to have an advantage in tetherball, but it is a game that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.
To learn more about the different types of tetherballs and their functions, we recommend to read our buying guide section.
Best Tetherball Sets Reviews 2022
Take a close look at our highly recommended top 10 best tetherball sets.
- 1. Lifetime 90029 Portable Tetherball Set
- 2. Baden Champions Series Tetherball Set
- 3. Sportime-370 Kelpro Tetherball Set
- 4. Park & Sun Sports Tetherball Set
- 5. Swingball Mookie Classic Tetherball Set
- 6. Franklin Sports Tetherball Set
- 7. Park & Sun Sports Portable Tetherball Set
- 8. Champion Sports TTGAME Tetherball Tennis
- 9. Park & Sun Sports Tetherball Set (3-Piece)
- 10. PRO Swingball All Surface Tether Tennis Set
1. Lifetime – 90029 Portable Tetherball System
This Portable Tetherball System from Lifetime brings great childhood playground games to the convenience and safety of your own backyard.
- 2 in. Round Steel Pole
- 30 in. Heavy-Duty Portable Base
- Play on Sand, Grass, or Concrete
- All-Weather Powder-Coated Finish
The Lifetime – 90029 comes with a soft-touch ball and nylon cord, a heavy-duty portable base. The durable pole and base built-in weather-resistant construction to withstand any harsh environment. You can easily set up and store it without too much effort.
The Nylon Cord is 72 inches with 30 inches Steel Attachment Hook. You don’t need to have a hole in the ground to set the pole in. That is the best part of this model!
The 20 feet zone is more for comfort and safety. As long as you have a tennis ball that was pre-attached to a rope and had a carabineer, you would be fine. It is a standard tetherball size; youth, teenagers and adults all can play with it to bring more fun.
Lifetime Tetherball Set is completely safe for children. It is strong enough to stand up to aggressive play because the heavy-Duty base won’t wobble in the long run. The base doesn’t have wheels, but it rolls easily on its base when you tilt it and doesn’t require a cement base.
The pole is not made to be widely adjustable. However, it is a three-piece pole, so if you want it to be substantially shorter you could leave out one of the sections. Each section is 32″ on its own. Of course, that will mean adjusting the ball rope.
- Durable weather-resistant construction
- Easily rolls to the desired location
- Comes with 5-year limited warranty
- Pump and needle included
- Easy to assemble
- No wheels on the base
- You need to tighten the base
2. Baden Champions Series Tetherball Set
Our next choice is Champions Series tetherball set, which comes from the reputed brand Baden. We have no doubt that Baden strives to produce the highest quality yard games on the planet. They have spared no exception with this tetherball set. So, if you’re looking to bring home some quality yard game look no further.
- Powder-coated heavy-duty pole
- Nylon rope with hook and eyebolt
- 12-inch PVC plastic ground sleeve
- Air pump with needle
Baden Champions Series tetherball set is well-made, sturdy, and easy to assemble in a minute. At a reasonable cost, this is a regular size portable tetherball set that comes with everything you need to bring home a piece of the schoolyard.
It comes with a carrying package, with a detachable white steel powder-coated pole that stands fully assembled at 10 feet 5 inches. The pole includes a ground sleeve to make it easy to remove from the ground.
The pole is completely weather and rust-resistant and works fine as long as fastened down in the ground for it does not wiggle. It’s not a big deal to tamp the dirt down better when it starts to wiggle.
A lot of people however cement their poles into the ground for a more permanent location.
- Weather and rust-resistant pole
- Easy to store and carry
- Great tetherball set for the price
- Move it around easily
- Fun for everyone
- Doesn’t come with a carrying case
- Installations aren’t super easy
3. Sportime In-Ground Tetherball Pole
Sportime In-Ground Tetherball Pole sets feature a galvanized finish so that you can use them for permanent (cement in place) or temporary (ground sleeve provided) installation.
- Suitable for permanent or temporary
- Pole measures a total of 12 feet long
- Weighs approximately 37 pounds
- Heavy-duty aluminum pole
Sportime In-Ground Tetherball set comes with 2 options, a 5 feet pole or you can use an extension to make it 7 feet. It will last for many years. It is very sturdy and a good choice for the school playground. The package comes with instructions on options of how to put it in the ground.
The pole is very strong, heavy-duty and of commercial-grade quality. It is like a pole you would see in a public park. It is removable. However, there is some space between the pole and the base causing.
In-Ground outdoor Tetherball intervention game is portable, so it can be installed and stored easily, making it a favorite game group for just a few friends or games in the yard.
Reminiscent of childhood playground games, but strong enough to withstand aggressively. Sportime 370 Kelpro tetherball set is perfect for any portable playground or lawn game, picnic or family gathering.
However, the package only comes with pole (doesn’t include ball and rope).
- Ideal for both indoor or outdoor use
- Pole is made of high-end galvanized steel
- High-quality product at this price range
- Very simple to install
- Great choice for kids
- For the quality, it is a bit expensive.
- Doesn’t come with a ball
4. Park & Sun Sports Permanent Tetherball Set
Park & Sun Sports is a well-known company to provide high-quality sports items for more than a decade and their tetherball set can be a great example of their outstanding quality. This set is equipped with a highly durable and rust-resistant galvanized steel tetherball pole.
- 2-piece poles measure 1-5/8″ in diameter
- Includes a 12″ in-ground pole sleeve
- Permanent/Semi-permanent portability
- Internal cord connector
- Ball Pump and Needle
The great thing is, each pole set comes with a standard size tetherball made with softer volleyball-type material which is easier on the hands and forearms. It is durable and softer than a traditional rubber tetherball.
It features an extension, and that makes it 12 foot 6 inches. Without the extension, it is 6 feet 2 feet in-ground and 4 feet out of the ground. It is a great set for both beginners and advanced.
However, the pole is in two pieces and there is one piece that you insert into the ground by digging a small hole. It won’t wobble when you are hit the ball back and forth. The rope & ball easily attach to the top of the pole.
Park and Sun Sports tetherball set comes with a metal sleeve that you gently pound into the ground being careful not to disfigure the round shape. The sleeve is designed for convenience because it is able to remove the pole to mow or store away for the winter.
The advantage of the sleeve is you can pull the pole out of the sleeve instead of leaving it outside. However, you can certainly fasten the pole permanently if you desire without using the sleeve. We highly recommend this model if you want to buy a high-quality tetherball set at an affordable price.
- Sturdy and easy to assemble
- Premium nylon-wound ball
- Very soft touch tetherball
- Cheap price
- Black sleeve is too thin
- Pole is pretty wobbly
5. Mookie Classic Championship Swingball
The whole family will love it excitingly to compete with the Mookie Swingball Set-based Fans. It was designed just like the classic one but is suitable for younger children. You don’t need to playground or field to play this game.
- Suitable for single or double play
- Total height 4 feet 2 inches
- Adjustable and expandable
- Base doubles as a Case
The cane of this Swingball set made of steel is perfectly in the base and adjustable in height (up to 1.4 m). The Checker bats are light but sturdy. It also includes a tennis ball grade tournament, with 15000 strokes guaranteed.
Mookie Classic Championship Swingball is simple to set up and all components fit comfortably in the locking transport base.
This ball-style game is suitable for both single or double play and can be adjusted to rotate freely or turn up and down the spiral. You can save and carry out in all parts. However, this game is for ages 4 and up, suitable for both kids and adults.
With weatherproof and rugged components, the Swingball Vents is built to last. The base offers incredible stability and can be weighted with sand or water for a sturdy surface on any floor.
- This can be played by both kids and adults
- Great for mindless stress relief
- A great option for the price
- Good Set up for small space
- Easy to store and carry
- It is a little flimsy
6. Franklin Sports Classic Tetherball for Outdoor
The Franklin Sports is a great classic tetherball set up for a fun backyard game. Adults and kids alike. It is easy to assemble, and the ball blows up nicely. Franklin Sports Tetherball set comes with a pump, can play within 5 minutes of opening the package. It could be perfect for the beach and picnics, even alone great exercise.
- Welded steel tubing pole
- 96-inch high assembled
- 5mm thick cotton core rope
- Mini-pump and needle
The structure is sturdy enough, and the ball is massive and fine all around. It is a great toy that upgrades your yard for the kids without making much shade and killing grass like a trampoline. For more stability, make sure to set the base in a bit of poured concrete.
However, it wobbles a little but you’re having so much fun you don’t notice. Also, this isn’t rugged enough for heavy-duty general playground or schoolyard use but would be fine in most backyards.
Franklin Sports tetherball set
It will be a substantial investment for a day when you don’t know what else to do and highly recommend it if you want to make fun with your children. For the price, it is the best classic tetherball set on our list.
- A decent choice for the price
- Durable pole construction
- Great for playing with dogs
- Easy to install and use
- Nice for family and friends
- Thread is weak
- It’s a little wobbly
7. Park & Sun Sports Backyard Classic Tetherball Set
This is another great tetherball set from Park & Sun Sports. Bring the fun of Tetherball to your patio with the addition of the Park and Sun portable Classic Set Tetherball – Americana.
- Durable 3-piece galvanized steel poles
- Hand pump with 2 inflation needles
- 7′ nylon cord 6 mm in diameter
Park & Sun Sports classic Tetherball is manufactured with high-quality “Soft-Touch” material in red, white, and blue colors. It has an internal cable connector that keeps the ball intact, and 12-inch Ground Case provides easy removal.
The robust 3-Piece Pole is made of galvanized steel which has a thickness of 3.8 cm in diameter. The pole is nice and sturdy that doesn’t wobble when you are hitting the ball back and forth. The three sections of about 2 1/2 feet length of pipe that you just click together it’s quite tall when you set it up.
Also, the rope that comes with the ball is long enough to set it to any child’s height. We like that you can disconnect the ball and bring it in out of bad weather. However, the pole is a little weak for heavy hitters. It can be removed from the cement base.
- Doesn’t take up much space
- Built-in premium-quality
- Ball pump included
- Very cheap price
- Pole isn’t very sturdy for adult play
8. Champion Sports TTGAME Tetherball & Tennis Ball
Enjoy this classic game indoors or outdoors last intervention with rubber horseshoes, rubber mat for children with picks and plastic dowels. Champion Sports TTGAME tetherball set brings great fun in any weather. It is one of the bright and colorful game pieces on the market.
- Two-piece metal pole & Tennis ball includes
- Easy Clip-on Hook Attaches with 64″ Rope
- 3/4-inch pole diameter
It is designed for kids and their parents for hours of outdoor fun and friendly competition at beginner-level play. The package comes with 2 tennis paddles, 2-piece metal bar with an adjustable arm and a spiral coil. It is ideal for outdoor and e.g. games with rules similar to Tetherball.
Champion Sports TTGAME Tether Tennis set built-in good quality to ensure a lot of fun for years to come. However, if you play with all the forces, the ball is broken. And the same goes for any tennis ball.
- Perfect for the kids and adults too
- Easy court setup and use
- Swivel arm and spiral coil
- Easy clip-on hook attaches
- Portable design
- A bit wobbly
- It’s not very hard
9. Park & Sun Sports TP-PORTABLE-158 Tetherball Set
Park & Sun Sports portable tetherball comes with the easy installation process of this tetherball pole; you will never have to create a base for the pole with cement or other bulky base options.
- Tough and Sturdy Galvanized Steel Poles
- Tri-pod base for quick and easy set-up
- Carabiner clip for secure attachment
- Soft Touch Tetherball; No Pain
Park & Sun Sports TP-PORTABLE-158 portable tetherball set features a 12″ main anchor spike and 3 additional 10″ ground anchors that fit into the base of the pole to provide ample stability for your hardest serve.
This standard-sized tetherball is made with softer volleyball-type material which is easier on the hands and forearms. It is also durable and softer than a traditional rubber tetherball.
The stand is strong it’s just that the pole comes out of the ground when you play. The Soft Touch ball is a perfect replacement tetherball and will provide hours of play.
However, the only thing that is wrong with it, it could use a bit of something to stabilize the pipes better. Where the two fit together, it is a little wobbly. Otherwise it will be your best bet.
- It is easy to set up and has pleasant quality
- 3-piece tripod base/pole
- Soft-touch tetherball
- Swivel hook clip
- Reasonable price
- A little wobbly
10. All Surface PRO Swingball with Tetherball Set
This is a great budget-friendly Portable Tetherball Set from Swingball store, designed for older children and adults who like to play fast. It has small paddles and only goes up to 48″ – more for juniors.
- Big brother version
- Base inset scoring system
- Steel tube adjustable up to 170cm.
- Weight 5lbs and preferred ages 6+
The durable lid prevents leakages and increases water capacity for unrivaled stability. The handle ensures easy carrying. The ball can hit you in the arm since the plastic paddles are paddles and not racquets.
All Surface Pro Swingball offers active playtime for all ages, making it suitable for solo play, or double play. The storage inside the portable case is perfect. The portability and inside or outside factors are both excellent. There are 3 parts to the pole and one of them has a tapered end that fits.
Keep in mind, if the ball is not hit properly, the string gets tangled, so it’s not so easy to play a game between two people. The ball whips around fast and if you don’t have good hand/eye coordination.
- You can play anywhere
- Convenient to use
- Great set for whole family use
- Easy to carry
- It is a little flimsy
- Plastic base
Buyer’s Guide: Tetherball Set
It is true that each tetherball set has specific advantages and disadvantages. So it is compelling to justify them thoroughly before placing an order. To make a good choice, it is also essential to know certain points so that you can easily ignore what you don’t need.
Therefore, here are some tips that will help you choose the right model for your needs.
Type of tetherballs
There are two main types of tetherball game: In field and mobile:
These tetherball sets are installed in the ground. Either by inserting a sleeve into a hole in the ground for the pole or by fixing the pole in the hole with cement. A cement base is a beefy option, but it has the obvious disadvantage that you cannot move the pole once it is in position.
In these tetherball sets, the pole is inserted into a heavy base, often made of plastic and weighted with sand or water to maintain constant. These are not nearly as rugged as in-ground sets, but the setup is a lot easier and the whole set can be moved to different places.
This type of tetherball set is a good choice for anyone who cares about their yard because you can move the game when the grass starts showing wear.
Choose carefully where you want to place your tetherball game, especially if you opt for a permanent installation. A tetherball set needs a circular area at least 20 feet in diameter around the post.
Keep in mind, you need vertical clearance in order to avoid putting trees or branches near the pole. You can expect the grass around the pole to flatten or even die if the tetherball set is used regularly.
Although traditional tetherball sets use a captive volleyball at the end of the rope, a few small sets use a tennis ball that players hit with plastic rackets. However, the principle of the game is the same – wrap the ball around the pole in your direction – but the game has a different meaning.
These small tetherball sets are best suited for young children.
Standard posts are ten balloon captive feet high, but some games can be as short as five. The right height depends on the age, size and skill level of the players. In most cases, the larger pole is the best option for players of a range of middle ages, so make sure that the size you choose suits your need.
The materials that make up the tetherball put the biggest role in the price and measure how long the whole thing will last.
- Pole: The pole is usually made of galvanized steel, which is sturdy and unlikely to rust. The mast can come as one segment or several smaller segments. While a pole with multiple segments is easier to store and transport, it is not as robust as a solid pole.
- Rope: In most cases, the rope is made of durable braided nylon. This is the norm in most games, but the thickness of the rope can vary depending on the price. Since a frayed rope is the most common problem with captive ball games, look for a thick rope that will hold up well over time. Replacing a rope is not expensive, but it can still be a problem.
- Ball: The ball must be rubber or nylon and be similar in size and weight to a volleyball. Rubber balls are soft but unlikely to last as long as a firm nylon ball. You should watch how the rope attaches to the ball. If the loop sticks out of the ball, players could hurt their hands when they hit the ball. Look for sets with buckles embedded in the ball.
Price of tetherball sets
- Cheap: Basic games that cost $25 to $50, tetherball sets usually use a tennis ball and are played with plastic rackets. These are quite short with a portable plastic base and make a good option for young children. Some games in this range can even be used indoors.
- Mid-range: These tetherballs cost $50 to $100 and vary in height from five to ten feet and can be mobile or on the ground. Many sets in this price range use rubber or nylon balls and have segmented or solid poles.
- Expensive: In the $100 to $150 price range, the tetherball sets are designed for permanent installation. The posts are usually made of strong galvanized steel, and the nylon rope is thicker than the rope on the cheaper models. This is the best price range for a set of portable tetherball set that you can use regularly.
Advice to install Tetherball sets
- Use a pole hole digger: this can be a useful tool when creating the hole for the tetherball pole. Expect the lawn around the pole to turn into the soil because the grass will not be able to withstand regular wear.
- Consider the sand: you can create a circle of sand around the pole to give your tetherball a more attractive look. It can also be played on the pavement.
- Keep the ball well inflated: this will help prevent injuries and reduce the risk of the ball being shattered.
- Check the height of the post: the length of the pole is not necessarily the height of the pole for the game because a portion of the pole – usually about two feet – must be securely anchored in the ground.
Frequently Ask Questions
Here are some of the most common questions people are interested in. This section helps to choose the right one instantly from our top ten list.
How safe is tetherball?
As it is a low contact sport, injuries are rare in the captive balloon. The greatest risk of injury is to be hit by the ball or burn the rope if the rope wraps around your arm.
Can Tetherball be played solo?
Yes. Undoubtedly, this is a great way to practice your service and it can be a great source of exercise.
Is it better to install the pole in the ground or cement?
It depends on how soft the floor is in your yard and whether you agree with having a small cement surface in your yard. Removing cement can be difficult, but if you have soft ground and want your pole to be as stable as possible, cement is perhaps your best option.
The Lifetime 90029 Portable tetherball system is the best choice overall on the market. Because it is safe for children and beginners but strong enough to stand up to aggressive play. However, all the tetherball sets, we have included have great features to meet your expectation. And we hope our buying guide gives you some ideas on what to look out for when buying a complete tetherball set.
We’ve also reviewed the best trampoline for adults. If you’re interested to bring more fun with your kids, we highly recommend to read this article.