Buying a mountain bike is a highly anticipated moment, especially for first-time buyers. With rapidly changing technology, it’s hard to find the best mountain bikes under $300.
Our studies and reports found that you can see the same mountain bike with different selling prices on the market because of the different components installed on each model.
If you are looking for the best mountain bike under $300, you’re in the right place. We understand that not everyone can afford high-end mountain bikes, but that shouldn’t deter you from enjoying the sport. Our list of the top 10 best cheap mountain bikes under 300 dollars is based on test reports, expert research, and real consumers’ opinions.
Our team has reached many consumers to make this list accessible for men, women, beginners, or even expert mountain bikers. We also offer some tips on how to choose the best mountain bikes under $300 so that you can pick the best model without spending a fortune.
Without further delay, let’s see which they are…
Best Mountain Bikes Under $300 Reviews 2023
Let’s see the comparative analysis of the top 10 best mountain bikes under $300…
- 1. Best Overall Mountain Bike Under $300 – Mongoose Status R5500B
- 2. Best Lightweight Mountain Bike Under $300 – Merax 26″
- 3. Mountain Bike Under $300 with Unique Design – Max4out
- 4. Best Beginners Mountain Bike – Royce Union RTT
- 5. Best Durable Mountain bike Under $300 – Mongoose R4018F Impasse
- 6. Best Comfortable Mountain bike Under $300 – HH Hiland
- 7. Best Folding Mountain Bike Under $300 – Stowabike MTB V2
- 8. Best Brand Mountain Bike Under $300 – Schwinn S7958AZ
- 9. Best Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike Under $300 – Kingttu KTG6
- 10. Best Teenager Mountain Bike Under $300 – Schwinn 24″
1. Mongoose Status 2.2 Mountain Bike – Best Overall
If you are looking for the best mountain bike under $300 with high speeds and good hand brakes to be able to ride on all terrains, the Mongoose Status 2.2 could be a great option for you. The 21-speed gearbox ensures total control in every situation while driving.
The wheel size is 26 inches, and it comes with a 27.5-inch tire and a medium-sized frame. The frame is made of top-grade aluminum and the pedals are durable plastic. The standover height for the frame is about 27.5″ while the standover height for the seat is about 29″.
The SHIMANO rear derailleur combines with the micro-shift twist shifter to deliver 21 speeds and the removable rear derailleur guard ensures consistent gear operation. And with a colorful design, the Mongoose Status 2.2 has a wide range of rider heights from 5’4″ to 6’2″.
This model’s pretty much lightweight. When it’s fully assembled, the total weighs about 38 lbs. The package also comes with a kickstand with a lot of protection, which makes this model a good starter bike for under $300.
Why We Like It:
- Mongoose Status 2.2 bike looks very attractive. You can easily handle this bike even on rough terrain. It is lightweight but you won’t feel weak or flimsy.
- It is pretty simple to adjust the brakes and the derailers for the gears. This model is designed for beginners and intermediates who are looking for a good mountain bike. It is the most complete and versatile package.
- The crossbar slopes downward towards the seat, which makes this bike useable for almost any height. To ensure quality, Mongoose offers a 5-year warranty on the frame, with 1 year on parts and 30 days on wearable parts like tubes.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- The main issue of this model is the front gear shifter on the handle, which does not have good friction. So it is very hard to twist and change if your hand is just a bit sweaty.
- This mountain bike doesn’t have holes for a water bottle holder which could be improved.
- You can ride very smoothly and effectively
- Adjustable seat and handlebars
- Great bike for the price
- Perfect size with nice color
- Gear shifting is very precise
- Instruction is useless
- Gears are a little clunky
2. Merax 26″ Lightweight Mountain Bike
Merax 26″ mountain bike offers adequate support for those who looking for a versatile and top-notch mountain bike under 300 dollars. This is a Fork Suspension mountain bike with dual-walled rims. With 24 speed levels, the suspension is excellent and gear shifting is fairly smooth.
The stem size is 31.8mm. This model comes with dual disc brakes. There are 4 bolt holes for two bottle holders and 2 rear racks mount bolt holes on either side of the rear tire framing.
Merax 26″ mountain bike comes with 85% per-assembled. You need to assemble the handlebar, front wheel, seat, pedals, and all the adjustments. The package also includes all the assembly tools; no extra tools are needed.
There’s a switch on the crown so that you can switch it to street OR MTN bike mode. The levels of assistance offer different functionality so that you can tackle demanding climbs without worries.
Why We Like It:
- We love the Merax 26′ because of its well-balanced design, that’s rarely found especially at this price range. You will like the Shimano shifters, their nice styling looks, and smooth rides. It takes very little time to get it all together. The adjustable seat and handlebars feel very comfortable.
- It is a double suspension bike with a lightweight aluminum frame, ideal for mountain trails. An all-terrain that will prevent you from feeling potholes thanks to its shock absorption system.
- The package comes with a strong and well-setup kickstand. With 330 lbs load capacity, the overall construction is decent. It comes with a 1-year warranty.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- Instructions are a little difficult to understand but manageable to assemble.
- The speeds and brakes need to be adjusted.
- The front wheel is not aligned well, and the spokes need some adjustment. However, these are supposed from a newly designed cheap bike.
- Strong and pretty stable
- Good metal construction
- Very easy to assemble
- Colorful and stylish looks
- Dual disc brakes for more security
- It is an entry-level mountain bike
3. Max4out Anti-Slip Unique Design Mountain Bike
Max4out anti-slip mountain bike is made of Solid Aluminum Alloy frame with excellent welding technology, which makes it a durable and stable cruising bike under $300. This unique stunt bike is perfect for mountains and wastelands. It is effective on the road, trail, city, beach or snow, etc. This model also comes with 6 months warranty.
Max4out mountain bike combined with low 8-10 psi. In the tires, the shock does well smoothing out bumpy dirt roads and mild rocky trails.
The front derailleur mounts on a standard size, tube so you can put on whatever you want. The stem is 1-1/8″ threadless so that you can fit any fork that is 1-1/8″ non-tapered.
This rear suspension mountain bike has a good quality/price ratio that can satisfy consumers even if it is not without some defects. However, we recommend you have the gearbox and adjust the brakes by a professional if you do not have practical experience in the field.
Why We Like It:
- Max4out mountain bike comes with a unique color spray paint combination. It is very simple to assemble. The maximum weight capacity is up to 330 lbs, suitable for small to large people.
- Thanks to the Shimano 21-speed system, you can manage variable paths and differences in height, adapting the pedaling as needed from time to time.
- The disc brakes are very efficient and safe which guarantees more bikers’ security. These brakes allow you to perform more demanding maneuvers, especially on descents.
- The front derailleur mounts on a standard-size tube; you can put on whatever you want.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- We found this model has several small downsides. The silica coat of the handlers is not stuck so well to the inside tubes. The quality of the plastic bottle holder is not very good. The stem connected to the front suspension is not adequately tight.
- Good thick tires with lots of treads
- Comes with 90% assemble
- Durable and strong frame
- Seven-speed transmissions
- Excellent mountain bike at this price range
- Seat isn’t conformable
- Small knock on top of the frame
4. Royce Union RTT Mountain Bike for Beginners
The Royce Union 24” is a great mountain bike under $300 for men. The lightweight hardtail frame is molded from tough 6061 heat-treated top-grade aluminum. Although it’s a cheap bicycle, you can expect much from the materials and mechanics because the overall quality is pleasant and reliable.
The seat has good height adjustability and is very comfortable. You can get a lot of power in your leg stroke and have an efficient movement with good posture. With radiant silver paint finish and a clear gloss overcoat, this bike looks very fancy.
The SHIMANO EZ Fire Plus Trigger combines with the Shimano Tourney TY300 rear derailleur which provides efficient and precise shifting between gears. The weight limit is 300 lbs. However, we don’t recommend it for over 250 pounds. It is pretty strong unless you are overly heavy.
This model has a standard bike stem. The Linear pull brake and variable gearbox ensure excellent performance while driving. Remember that you need to assemble the seat, pedals, front wheel and handlebar first.
Why We Like It:
- Royce Union RTT mountain bike has a semi-custom feel to it. It’s a shape to fit men’s bodies.
- The handlebars are comfortable with nice quality grips and very comfortable. It looks good on the mountain road. It is built-in with very correct and clean finishes.
- The great advantage lies in its components such as mud and water, which makes it a cheap but reliable mountain bike for long time use.
- The power is ideal for maneuvering in adverse conditions. The frame size is 15 inches which is enough to provide much backside comfort.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- Royce Union RTT bike does not come with a kickstand. The setup is not very easy for the beginner. It takes about 30 minutes to assemble and another 30 minutes to adjust.
- It is pretty heavy and doesn’t have considerable gear-changing options.
- Great quality for the price
- Transitions are smooth
- Shocks are great
- Efficient performance
- Fast and good looking
- Seat is a little bit uncomfortable
5. Mongoose R4018F Mountain Bike
Among the best-selling mountain bike under $300 on the market, we have found the Mongoose R4018F. The main material that composes it is aluminum with a seal and a pair of 29” diameter tires. Many users are satisfied with the goodness of the bike, especially its durability when compared to the sale price.
The durable aluminum frame makes it so much lightweight. You can easily move it if needed. The standover height of the frame is 29.5″ with a seat standover height of about 31″. Mongoose R4018F mountain bike shifts very easily. The pedals are suitable for medium to large feet.
All adjustments of size and comfort are easy to make. With sturdy construction, the extra frame members for full suspension make it heavier than a straight street bike with aluminum tubing.
This model bike is very easy to set up. You can use your basic household hand tools to do that. Overall, it will ensure a great riding position for cruising back roads and trails.
Why We Like It:
- The ZOOM disc brakes work surprisingly well. They are about one-half to one-third the cost of more premium brakes. This model’s great for tooling around town and up and down hills with all the gears. It has a rear blinking light and is very comfortable.
- It is a real mid and high-end mountain bike that guarantees agile and unhindered gear changes.
- As for its frame, it is made of high-quality aluminum with a good weight, hardness and stability ratio. It could be a good choice for those looking for a lightweight mountain bike.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- The brakes need an initial alignment before using it. Although the manual provides step-by-step instructions for getting everything adjusted properly, you need extra time to assemble it properly.
- Although the rear shock is adjustable, you will probably want to tighten it up a bit.
- Extra-large 29 x 2. 35-inch tires
- Strong and heavy-duty construction
- Comfortable and smooth
- Multiple color options
- Simple to assemble
- It is a little bouncy
- The packing box is poorly designed
6. HH Hiland Brave Comfortable Mountain Bike
If you enjoy going up and down the trails, then the HH Hiland Brave is an ideal option for you. The Brave mountain bike is designed to hit technical slopes, spin at high speed on smooth surfaces, and shout in the forest. Its durable and non-slip tires provide great rigidity and comfort in key areas.
It is a high-quality double-suspension mountain bike that you can buy at a reasonable cost. You have the option to choose from five sizes of Hightower, which ensures a perfect level of comfort during your ride. Because it allows you to adapt your height and requirements.
HH Hiland had corrected the valve to American standard so don’t need to be concerned about the valve. This model comes with 85% pre-assembled. You need a basic installment. Even you don’t have to pay extra money because the package includes assembly tools and a high-quality kickstand.
Why We Like It:
- It is a sleek and cool design mountain bike. The suspension and disc brake work well. This model’s sturdy enough as a mid-range bike.
- The HH Hiland Brave could be a good choice for basic trail riding and on the street. You can comfortably cover long distances. This model is designed for both men and women between 60in and 71in height.
- It represents a perfect balance of quality and performance. You can safely ride on different terrain.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- You can’t adjust the height of the bars without a riser. However, there is a threadless system so there’s little adjustment with the spacers.
- The seat is not stable enough; you won’t feel much more comfortable on the difficult mountain roads.
- Made from high-quality materials and durable frame
- Free kickstand and pedals
- Pretty simple to assemble
- Lightweight and beautiful design
- Widely adjustable
- Doesn’t come with assemble instruction
- Seat is a little bit hard
7. Stowabike V2 Folding Mountain Bike
Stowabike V2 mountain bike comes with wheels as depicted as Standard Mountain bike tread. It features 50 psi recommended pressure and 300 lbs of maximum load capacity. This dual suspension model is built with a medium frame of about 5 feet in total length from the front wheel to the back.
It is a full-sized frame 26″ mountain bike, with the seat lowered to the lowest position measurement from the ground to the top of the seat 36″. It fits perfectly on wheel racks and roof racks. There are 2 sets of holes on either side of the rear.
It folds up nicely and is small enough to fit in. The dimensions of the bike when folded: 38.2 x 12.6 x 29.5in. The handlebars are the same as standard bicycle handlebars. However, this bike is still pretty bulky when folded up.
Stowabike V2 mountain bike comes with the Allen wrench needed to tighten some of the screws and a piece of metal. However, it’s good to keep these tools to take with you on a biking trip.
Why We Like It:
- The Stowabike V2 is a great mountain bike under 300 for both men or women. It is not really hard to assemble because the assembly tools come with it.
- If you are concerned about the weight, the V2 isn’t too heavy although the frame is made of high-quality steel. You can easily fold up it and put it in the trunk or back seat of a small vehicle.
- You need to give less pedaling compared to other models and the wheels are good for a more precise grip on uneven terrain.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- It does not fit on most racks where you rest the bike down tube on a supporting arm.
- The seat is not a good one because it’s very thin, and there’s not much for a cushion. Your pedaling foot will interfere with the turning front wheel.
- Outstanding quality folding mountain bike
- Standard bicycle handlebars
- Strong but lightweight design
- Built-in dual suspension
- Very comfortable to ride
- Doesn’t have a height limit
- Pretty bulky when folded up
8. Schwinn S7958AZ Front Suspension Mountain Bike
You know that Schwinn is a reputed company in the riding industries from kick scooters to electric mountain bikes. All products from Schwinn lines are designed in the US and manufactured in China. With a limited budget, it is a reliable and enjoyable mountain bike that meets your needs.
However, the Schwinn S7958AZ mountain bike features a men’s style frame but adult women height not less than 5’4″ can ride this bike very comfortably. The 24-speed Shimano EZ Fire trigger shifters and front and rear Shimano derailleurs are a quality addition to this bike.
The excellent weight ratio allows you to reach some decent speeds with almost-scary 29″ wheels but maintains a great stability level. It has great front and rear disc brakes which provide excellent stopping power when properly tuned.
This bike has an 8-speed multi-freewheel with sprockets of 13 teeth to 28 teeth. The well-featured and durable sporty construction ensures long-lasting safety.
The Schwinn S7958AZ is a great 29-inch mountain bike under $300 for different terrains. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty covering manufacturing defects with the time allotment dependent on the part.
Why We Like It:
- The bike rides smoothly even on rough terrain, and it is very handy on the trail. It is super lightweight and the flat black/satin paint with red accents is sharp and much better looking than the picture.
- It has front suspension and disc brakes and is equipped with Shimano components which are guaranteed for the tough mountain road. This model features front and rear quick-release wheels for easy removal.
- Schwinn also ensures that it will last for several years. It is a fancy mountain bike for the price.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- It does not have a lock option on the front fork suspension. The disc brakes need a bit of adjustment to eliminate drag when not engaged.
- The assembly instructions aren’t very well-written. Nonetheless, you can easily assemble it.
- Big tires and looks incredible
- Great bike to cover long distance
- Very sturdy components
- Not too heavy and fast
- Disk brakes work great
- Well-constructed frame and joint
- It is not a professional mountain bike
- There is no suspension lockout
9. Kingttu Dual Suspension Folding Mountain Bike
Kingttu KTG6 mountain bike is ideal for cyclists who want a good quality dual suspension mountain bike to improve their skills on rolling trails, especially if they are mainly focused on pleasure. It is a top-quality dual suspension model with an outstanding design.
The durable aluminum alloy transmission makes it easy to get on and off. The material reduces the overall weight. The craft is very light so you can handle this bike quite easily. Here, your bike will be worthwhile if you do not know which road bike to choose from.
The components of the Kingttu KTG6 bike are outstanding because the wheels and the saddle display high manufacturing quality. The manufacturer has chosen to adopt equipment from other major brands to improve the robustness of this mountain bike.
Why We Like It:
- Kingttu KTG6 mountain bike is great for all riders from beginners to experts. It is convenient to use and allows you to travel long distances on many terrains without difficulties. It is also lightweight, so you can carry it wherever you want.
- The package comes 90% assembled, you only need to air up the tire, install the handlebar, front wheel and seat. You can complete the overall setup process within 15 to 20 minutes, the bike is ready to ride. It could be a great choice for intermediate riders who looking for an affordable mountain bike from a well-known brand.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- The rear wheel and chain gears come assembled. However, the brakes need to be done yourself and take a lot of minor adjustments to get them just right.
- This entry-level mountain bike doesn’t include the telescopic Seatpost.
- Dual suspension
- Strong and durable construction
- All tools are included in the package
- Free paddles
- Convenient to use
- Frame is not very large
- Not suitable for over 6 feet
10. Schwinn S2448C Mountain Bike for Teenager
Last but not least, among the best mountain bikes under 300 dollars in 2023, the Schwinn S2448C is designed for those who looking for the best in terms of performance and lightness, without thereby descending in quality and comfort. There are several aspects that contribute to making this bicycle a first-class product for teenagers.
The wheel size is 26″, and the frame is 16″, which makes it great for both small and large people.
Schwinn S2448C mountain bike is very sturdy. It has a good braking system so that, from beginners to advanced, everyone can use it. It is also very satisfying to handle and easy to ride.
This bike comes partially assembled. You need to attach the seat, handlebars, pedals, and front wheel. It has a quill stem that provides a few centimeters of adjustment for handlebar height. This model also comes with a limited lifetime warranty on the manufacturing defect.
Why We Like It:
- It is a very durable and resistant mountain bike under $300 because the top-grade aluminum frame ensures long time service. The color and finish are very shiny.
- It has the exact characteristics of beginner bikers. The bike switches gears pretty well. The brakes are very nice, and the body has excellent quality.
- It is simple to put together even for the first-time user. Because the assembly instructions are relatively clear. Schwinn offers a lifetime limited warranty for this model.
Why We Don’t Like It:
- The seat was designed to fit 12 years old (too small), and that’s the reason big teenagers might feel awkward. However, if you make this bike more comfortable, you need to order a large seat that has a cushion.
- The front wheel has a quick release that doesn’t trustable. Also, the two tubes are rated for 35psi. If these are not a big deal for you, you can choose the Schwinn S2448C.
- Comes mostly assembled
- Very resistant and easy to handle
- Basic design but built-in top-grade materials
- Perfect size for different age teens
- Safe and easy to ride
- A little bit heavy
- Shocks ‘stick’ a bit
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Under $300?
You must evaluate the use you will make of the bike so that you can understand which model is better to choose. Here are our buying tips on how to choose the best mountain bikes under 300 dollars. So if you want to invest in the right bike, take a close look at this section.
Purpose of use
Mountain bikes are very complex today and those who are about to buy one find themselves in front of a sea of mysterious acronyms. Let’s get some clarity. Mountain bikes can be cross-country (XC), trail all mountain (AM), Enduro, downhill (DH), or electric.
As you can see, there is a wide range of choices for everyone’s needs. It is therefore important to figure out how and where you plan to use your mountain bike.
- The XC has only the front suspension. They are therefore light, excellent for climbs and plains, and less for the descents. It is great a bike for making fun and is mostly recommended for beginners, except for the XC marathon, which was designed for long-distance races.
- MTB trail bikes are generally more versatile and complex and Enduro bikes are even more excellent for cycling enthusiasts who are already able to tackle any type of track without problems. However, MTB trail bikes are less suitable for beginners.
- If you are approaching the world of mountain biking now, you should avoid the DH which expresses the maximum performance on the downhill and on very technical routes.
Mountain bike materials are generally made from three types of materials: steel, aluminum alloys and carbon.
Steel is a material that never goes out of style, and is capable of guaranteeing maximum strength and durability over time. Steel frame is a very economical and effective choice for heavy people.
Aluminum alloys are popular because they guarantee the necessary rigidity without making the structure too heavy and the price remains accessible.
But the best brands are those made of carbon frames for several years. Now they have established themselves on the market for exceptional properties that consist of the combination of lightness, strength, and the possibility of having rigidity and flexibility in the places where they are needed.
However, all carbon fibers aren’t the same and therefore the price can vary significantly; at the same time, always remains much higher than the models with steel or aluminum frames.
Front or full suspensions
The question of shock absorbers or suspensions is the fundamental importance in the choice of the type of mountain bike because they influence the comfort in the saddle.
There are two types of suspension; front and full suspension:
The Hardtail Mountain Bike, also called Rigid or Front Suspension, features a single suspension at the front of the bike (fork). This makes its weight less than (about 3 pounds) a Full Suspension bike and guarantees the excellent performance of the bicycle on fast or uphill routes.
However, the performance of a Hardtail is lower downhill than a Full Suspension. We recommend a Hardtail bike for beginners or those who want to tackle slightly bumpy paths.
As the name implies, the Full Suspension is instead equipped with a double suspension, both front on the fork and rear. This ensures higher comfort, especially on the roughest routes. The weight is greater than a Hardtail Mountain Bike, but this benefits the handling and stability.
However, the cost of Full Suspension mountain bikes is a little higher. Because their maintenance costs are higher and numerous mechanical parts are attached. We recommend a full-suspension bike for those who already have some experience facing more challenging routes.
Which size is better: 26, 27.5 or 29-inch wheels?
Ok, the 29-inch ones are the latest arrivals on the market. They are making a name for themselves in all specialties but they are suitable for the less experienced because they are more stable and safe.
26-inch wheels are ideal for those who want to save money but it is less popular for the benefit of 27.5-inch. And the 26-inch model is suitable for expert riders because it can handle every mountain road. However, you will find different sizes of wheels on the market.
A rider who is looking for more speed will go for 29-inch wheels could be practical, while someone who prefers handling can choose 27.5-inch. 27.5″ wheel offers a good alternative between 26 ”wheels and 29” wheels mountain bikes. It combines maneuverability and dynamism for the pleasure of all mountain bikers, men and women, whatever their capacity.
Note that large wheels mountain bikes are able to tackle major obstacles.
In mountain biking, brakes are extremely important. So an effective, efficient, and safe braking system is vital for beginner to professional riders. The simplest bicycles in components and therefore in cost have v-brakes. However, these force us to tighten the levers and brake more frequently. That’s why they are best recommended for disc brakes.
The variable price of the mountain bikes depends on the disc brakes they use. It can be mechanical or hydraulic, from the most basic to the top of the range.
We always recommend hydraulic disc brakes because they are quite comfortable and efficient when braking. In addition, hydraulic disc brakes need less pressure, and these have an adjustment button to zoom in and zoom out depending on the length of our hand.
Mountain bikes are available in both front and rear derailleurs. Generally, they have a common gear setup, two or three gears in the front and eight in the back. A bike with three gears in the front and eight in the back means it has 24 different speed options.
Although the pedals vary from model to model, the choice depends on the ergonomic design, gender, and age of the rider. The pedal is usually between the classic flat ones that are called Flat and the SPD pedals.
Flat pedals don’t require special shoes and can be used without precautions. They have a good wide base and are comfortable. The Shimano Pedaling Dynamic pedals on the other hand require the foot to be hooked so you have to wear special shoes. They are certainly fine in certain circumstances where you want to maximize movement and power.
How to Use a Mountain Bike?
There is a significant difference between cycling and mountain biking. Mountain bikes are designed for those who want to be in full contact with nature and become one with it. Mountain biking experiences sensations that have little or nothing similarity to do with a simple bike ride. It means going where there are no roads or cycle paths but only a great desire to pedal.
To help you make your mountain biking experience meaningful, here are some tips:
Equipment to keep in your hand
- Owning a mountain bike implies always having a minimum of equipment available. A good pump regulates the pressure of the tires, and it is good practice to always carry it with you.
- Dry Teflon oil to lubricate the gearbox and the chain, the classic tools such as screwdriver, Allen screws, pliers, and everything that can be used for bike maintenance.
- A stand is very convenient for maintenance when the mountain bike is not in use.
- Finally, a bicycle rack to load the mountain bike onto the car and reach the places chosen for your rides.
Safety is very important
The first thing when you go mountain biking is to do it in absolute safety. Therefore, the helmet must always be kept in the head and well fastened.
- You should use gloves and always carry a spare inner tube with its inflator.
- It is vital to have a chain stretcher and a false link because braking the chain is always to be taken into account.
- Don’t leave your cell phone at home and make sure it’s well-charged.
- To prevent an accident, it is always better to go in a group. It could save your life.
- Always let someone tell you where you go and the course you take.
- You can use a handlebar GPS or use a smartwatch with GPS features.
Don’t ask too much about mountain biking
When you go mountain biking, do it judiciously, in the sense that you don’t ask your bicycle for more than it can give. In other words, don’t put it under greater stress than it can handle. If you want to speed on demanding and bumpy descents, you must have a professional bike.
How to start mountain biking?
For the first time, you can start with a rental bike in order to understand if this type of activity can really suitable for you. Before proceeding with an expensive purchase, it is good to start with a few hours of laps, which include a mix of asphalt and the path and which are calibrated with your physical preparation.
Also get a minimum of technical clothing, which essentially consists of a short, a shirt, and a jacket for wind or rain. Avoid too steep or too long routes and calibrate your efforts gradually.
How much does a mountain bike weigh?
The weight of a mountain bike varies essentially according to the material with which it was made; that actually affects the level of performance. In general, the values are between 25 to 40 pounds approximately.
Keep in mind, the heavier the bike, the harder it will be to climb.
How to remove the rear wheel?
This aspect essentially depends on the attachment system provided by the bike model you have purchased.
In recent years, facilitated systems are increasingly common, such as the quick release system. The procedure therefore becomes very simple, because it only requires the opening of the quick-release lever: this must be unscrewed and extracted from its housing.
If a pivot is delivered and not the lever, the only difficulty could be the presence of rust or debris, which must therefore eliminated before proceeding.
How to lift the handlebar?
In order to have the right comfort when riding the mountain bike, the handlebar must be at the same height as the seat. Make sure to adjust it properly so that the leg can fully extend.
Most of the models have an adjustable handlebar, otherwise, you have to insert shims at the base so that the subsequent assembly will lift it compared to the previous position.
We always see this solution in a more positive way, because the adjustable handlebar makes the structure slightly less stable, especially if you have very rough and steep paths in mind.
What is the price of a good quality mountain bike?
Within the Mountain Bikes prices, the range is available for all tastes, whims and pockets. For example, you can find very low and affordable price bikes. You can turn up the high price on innovative bikes that are usually electronic.
This ultimately means that you can find Mountain Bikes between 300 and 9000 dollars. It all depends on the type of bicycle. But it is clear prestigious brands are more expensive.
Hardtail or full suspension: which one to choose?
Hardtail bike has some advantages over full suspension bike regardless of the price tag and weight. They are cheaper than full suspension bikes. Hardtail bikes are light and easy to maintain. Hardtail bikes can also be faster and more fun on smoother trails.
On the other hand, full-suspension mountain bikes are easy to control and provide more comfort because they track the ground in a better way.
We all have different desires, experiences, and budgets that’s why we go in-depth so that you can really figure out which mountain bike model for less than $300 is best for you. As you can see, there are many types of Mountain Bikes for different level users, it’s up to you which model you now pick. However, with the ten options that we have listed, you are always safe in your budget.
We hope everything we have told helped you make the best decision.
For any questions, you can ask in the comment section below and we will answer them.
Our buyer’s guides of mountain bikes & hybrid bikes for different price ranges:
- What’s the mountain bike under 400 dollars?
- Which mountain bike under $600 is the winner of our tests?
- Best mountain bikes under $750—In-depth reviews
- The Best Hardtail Mountain Bikes Under $1000
- Best Hybrid Bikes Under $200: All You Need to Know
- The Top 5 Best Hybrid Bikes Under $400
- Hybrid Bikes Under $500 – Ultimate Buyer’s Guide